Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so it being my birthday, turning 21 (again. I'm really good at it by now), I've received $30 in GC's from my bro-in-law.

Since you all know me in a virtual sense fairly well, you'll know that recommending me guttural death metal will get you punched in the virtual dick. So please don't do so, unless of course you're Chris or one of the mods, in which case you can do what you want, because you've got the power to shield yourselves from a virtual dick punching. :D

You see, I've got music amnesia. Yesterday, the day before I received these cards, I likely had a long list of music I planned purchasing. Fast forward to today, and I've not got the slightest idea what I want.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
New Mr. Big?

·
18,790 Posts
Since I'm a huge whore for these guys right now, I'll suggest Fair To Midland's "Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True". It's an absolutely amazing album, IMHO, though buying it on iTunes means not getting the instrumental segues between some of the tracks, but you do get a pretty sweet bonus track :shrug:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New Mr. Big?
Ooh, see this is why I post this sort of thing. Good idea!! That's one!

Since I'm a huge whore for these guys right now, I'll suggest Fair To Midland's "Fables From a Mayfly: What I Tell You Three Times is True". It's an absolutely amazing album, IMHO, though buying it on iTunes means not getting the instrumental segues between some of the tracks, but you do get a pretty sweet bonus track :shrug:

YouTube - Walls of Jericho - Fair to Midland
YouTube - Fair To Midland - Dance Of The Manatee
YouTube - Fair to Midland - Tall Tales Taste Like Sour Grapes (with Lyrics)
I actually bought it awhile ago, and didn't re-rip it when I got my Mac. I need to find it again, because while I didn't quite dig it at first, I think it's one of those disks that require a few more listens to really "get".

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
If you don't have James LaBrie's newest album. Grab it. Don't think about it. Grab it. Srsly!

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Marillion's "Misplaced Childhood" - Awesome neo-prog album. Sounds like if Gabriel never quit Genesis and they made another album in the 80s
Guilt Machine "On This Perfect Day" - Arjen's new project and it's fantastic
Demon Hunter "The World Is A Thorn" - Surprisingly good hard rock/metalcore. I quite enjoyed it.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
the new star one album is really good too. oh, and if for some reason you don't have epica's design your universe (it took me almost a year to figure out that it was released :nuts:) get it. its amazing

if for no other reason than these two songs

oh and giant squid. you're really missing out if you don't have their two cds in your library.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Isahns album After. Listen to undercuurent or on the shores.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Isahns album After. Listen to undercuurent or on the shores.
my god what an incredible album.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, here's what I ended up with.

RED's new disk, James LaBrie's new(er) disk (per suggestion here), then I took Josh's suggestion of the new Mr. Big, and modified it a little by going with Paul Gilbert's most recent disk, Fuzz Universe.

EDIT

Oh and Aaron's recommendation prompted me to go dig out my Fair to Midland CD and rip it again. :D

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I got more from the wife; so what's some more music? I CANNOT make decisions on my own. I've got music amnesia, an acute condition where a week ago I knew exactly what I wanted, and now that I've got an iTunes card burning a hole in my pocket, I've completely forgotten!!

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
If you like bluesy-rock then I recommend Joe Bonamassa's newest album 'Dust Bowl' and also 'The Ballad of John Henry' if you don't already have it.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
If you're in the mood for some alternative rock, Secrets of the Lost Satellite by Ken Andrews and the self-titled album by Year of the Rabbit (a different project by the same guy) are quite good. The latter is a bit of a rarity, and I'm not sure if it's even on iTunes.

Also, Grace by Jeff Buckley.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts