Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to put it in my student soloist (Rosewood FB, Maple Neck, Poplar body). Any other Seymour Duncan's I should consider?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol:

Its a 6 string though. I might go for dimarzio super III in black/purple open coil. EMG'ing every guitar is getting a bit too expensive ($130 a pop for the splittable x series) plus I want something a little different.

I haven't even thought about single coils. Any rec's (hss setup) for those? Something shreddy with good cleans is the kind of thing I would be going for.

Also, this is a three potentiometer guitar (V/T/horrible jackson mid boost :lol: was the stock setup), what part do I need to install a blower switch?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
The regular Custom. It's the one with the ceramic magnet. Having said that, I've never liked 'em as much in alder as mahogany. I think the JB is the right pickup for that guitar.

You could go my route, drop around three-fifty on a set of Wolfetones. :yesway: :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That actually just might be the ticket, does SD do a purple/black zebra?

Also, any opinions on the full shred? Always been kind of interested in trying that pickup.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Want a pair of EMG 89/89R?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Want a pair of EMG 89/89R?
Thanks for the offer :yesway: , if it was HH I would be all over one of those for the neck, but its HSS and I don't particularly like 85s for bridge pickups.

Plus I think I need one passive guitar, or else I'll lose forum cred :(

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Dude, if I had to have one active guitar, it would have an SA in the neck. None of this dual-mode stuff either :D

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
The Seymour Duncan Custom is an awesome pickup. So is the Distortion. The Custom Custom is very interesting, and I like it, but only in particular things for particular things.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Dude, if I had to have one active guitar, it would have an SA in the neck. None of this dual-mode stuff either :D
I do have an 89x in the neck of one of my ATs. Which is (very very very close to) 85x plus SAx. I'm not really liking how smooth the 85 portion is for leads so I just got an 81 twx (which is very very close to 81x + SAx, although the single coil portion is supposedly slightly tweaked) for my other AT's neck position. Of course these all have the SA portion closer to the bridge, so its not a legit neck single coil tone. Though for what it is I like it just fine :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Hey! My first guitar was battery powered! And it didn't even have EMG's! It had a built in speaker!

I think this might have been it...

Was that from Service Merchandise? I remember wanting the fuck out of their speaker-powered guitar as a kid. :lol:

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
Was that from Service Merchandise? I remember wanting the fuck out of their speaker-powered guitar as a kid. :lol:
Man, I couldn't even tell you... I got that bitch when I was like 5, and sold it to my cousin years later for $50!

I did learn the Top Gun theme on it, though.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Garrett, the Full Shred is pretty cool, but not for everybody and not every wood. If I recall it has a Stratty sound to it. I forgot when Mickael Akerfeldt of Opeth switched to the Full Shreds, but I'm pretty sure a track off of Ghost Reveries would show off the Full Shred as installed in a PRS.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I have a JB/Custom 5 hybrid (one coil from the JB, one from the Custom 5) and holy fuck me does it sound insanely good. I have it in a mahogany bodied Caparison Horus, and it is probably one of my favorite pickups.

I am actually very surprised that the SD "hybrids" haven't gotten more popular. I figured by now someone would have started their own business making these bad boys.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ghost Reveries is (partly) a Full Shred in a PRS? You have to be fucking with me :lol: I know that he was using full shreds when he was still using his rhoads, but after that? I thought he used PRS pickups?

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I have a JB/Custom 5 hybrid (one coil from the JB, one from the Custom 5) and holy fuck me does it sound insanely good. I have it in a mahogany bodied Caparison Horus, and it is probably one of my favorite pickups.

I am actually very surprised that the SD "hybrids" haven't gotten more popular. I figured by now someone would have started their own business making these bad boys.
If you visit the Duncan forum there are all sorts of threads about them. I would love to hear a few of them.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I thought he used PRS pickups?
Some PRS pickups would really surprise you... The old Dragon I's absolutely slay... some of my favorite pickups, period. Completely kill the Dragon II's and the HFS's.

Hell, I have a set of PRS Santana's in an RG where I replaced a TZ/AN combo, and they sound ridiculously awesome.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts