Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reports: iTunes accounts, App Store hacked | Apple - CNET News

Various blogs are reporting that it appears some iTunes customer accounts have been hacked and that funds from those accounts may have been used to purchase apps in the iTunes App Store.

Earlier Sunday, Engadget reported an inexplicable uptick in sales of book apps by a developer identified as Thuat Nguyen. According to the blog, at the time of writing its report, Nguyen apps accounted for 42 of the top 50 books by revenue in the Books section of the iTunes App Store. Engadget went on to mention "a number of people reporting up to hundreds of dollars being spent unwillingly from their [iTunes] account to these specific books."

Blog TNW Apple reported that the phenomenon appeared to extend beyond apps by one developer, and that it seemed to be international in scope. It also ran excerpts from several posts to the MacRumors: Forums Web site.

"Yesterday my credit union contacted me saying there was suspicious activity on my debit card." TNW Apple quoted one post as saying. "Sure enough over 10 transactions in the $40-$50 area all on iTunes equaling to $558."

Read more: Reports: iTunes accounts, App Store hacked | Apple - CNET News
:mad::pissed:
This is blowing up all over the internet now

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah there were some problems with itunes hacking a while ago for people that had their accounts linked to paypal (TBH I blame paypal for that more than apple...) - lots of people were getting charged for stuff they didn't buy.

Bascially this is what people are doing
Put up a bunch of shitty ebooks for sale

THen somehow hack into peoples accounts and force them to purchase the books. Some people have been taken for over $600.

I guess they noticed something was wrong when the top 50 ebook purchases were a bunch of garbage

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do'h!

Actually first article i linked is from last july -(Google fu failure) I got an email from gameinsdutry.bz that mentioned it but when i went to google for more info I got a bit trigger happy.

The new app store did get hacked and people are pirating apps with it

Apple's launch of the new Mac App Store has already been marred with reports of hackers coming up with ways to pirate paid apps on the platform.

Hackers have discovered a simple copy-paste method to illegally crack some of the paid apps on the Mac App Store.

The method involves replacing the receipt and signature files on a paid app package with ones taken from a free app. Angry Birds is just one of the apps which can be hacked in this manner.

According to Apple Insider, Apple did provide support for App Store receipts on Mac OS X 10.6.6 but it is clear that Apple failed to check the Mac App Store for vulnerabilities like this before launching it yesterday.

A report on technology blog Daring Fireball informs that the vulnerability only affects those apps which don't follow Apple's app validation advice, in which the application is required to check for a valid receipt along with making sure that the receipt matches the app's bundle ID.

Read more: Apple's Mac App Store Hacked On First Day | ITProPortal.com
I should have checked more but after my fiasco with paypal a while back I don't trust any of the online retailers. (plus I write web code and see BIG holes in stuff every day)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So is there a vulnerability in the iTunes credentials system, or do people just have really shitty passwords? Both are "hacking", I guess, but only one of them is something you can't do anything about until the problem is fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts