Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It's the song that Coldplay apparently "ripped off" for this song Viva la Vida. I don't really care if they did because for guitar music it's awesome. I saw satch live in 2005 with I was 13 and Eric Johnson opened up. Joe made me watch to quit guitar. It was unbelievable.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Reminds me a lot of Flying in a Blue Dream.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts

It's the song that Coldplay apparently "ripped off" for this song Viva la Vida. I don't really care if they did because for guitar music it's awesome. I saw satch live in 2005 with I was 13 and Eric Johnson opened up. Joe made me watch to quit guitar. It was unbelievable.
I saw Joe in 1988 when I was...a lot older than 13. Yikes!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I've never been a fan of this and wondered why Coldplay couldn't pick a BETTER Satch tune to rip off, but I'm glad you're enjoying jamming with it!

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've never been a fan of this and wondered why Coldplay couldn't pick a BETTER Satch tune to rip off, but I'm glad you're enjoying jamming with it!
Because they're talentless hacks that couldn't process more than that one motif near the beginning of the song?

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because they're talentless hacks that couldn't process more than that one motif near the beginning of the song?
Who ever wrote the lyrics is the real hero. I'm willing to bet most of their fans have no idea what a roman calvary is.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
I love this song up until the second half where it feels that Satch just went autopilot and go into blues jam mode. I understand he was going for the uplifting feel especially with the dramatic mood established with the first half, and the final chord progression shows that, but then phones in all over it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I love this song up until the second half where it feels that Satch just went autopilot and go into blues jam mode. I understand he was going for the uplifting feel especially with the dramatic mood established with the first half, and the final chord progression shows that, but then phones in all over it.
Actually, exactly this. He started with a string melody, did obligatory Satch legato sheed...and then utter boredom.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I have to admit I am not a JS fan at all really. I respect him as a teacher, because he has obviously cultivated some incredible players, but was never really a fan of his music or playing. Even Surfing, which I assume most consider his best work, has not stood the test of time. When I hear it now it seems very weak when compared to say PaW. I dunno just don't like his tone, those spastic legato runs......meh :shrug:

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to admit I am not a JS fan at all really. I respect him as a teacher because he has obviously cultivated some incredible players, but was never really a fan of his music or playing. Even Surfing, which I assume most consider his best work, has not stood the test of time. When I hear it now it seems very weak when compared to say paW. I dunno just don't like his tone, those spastic legato runs......meh :shrug:
Im the same way. I saw him live because the guy who taught Steve Vai guitar must be really good right? I dont care for most of his music but in this song the melody he's playing before the weird legato runs is really nice imo

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I meanwhile am a HUGE Satriani fan, but this was towards the beginning of the period in his career where his songwriting style was "Rage Against the Machine riff with a swing for the main riff, blues lick with one 'odd' note for color for the verse, halftime sustained chord tones with a few tonality changes for the chorus, repeat, Jimmy Page meets legato solo, fade out" which just made it sound like he was phoning it in. I think he's come out of that phase in his recent albums (I think Chickenfoot helped him get his Jimmy Page thing out of his system) but pretty much everything after Engines of Creation and up to, oh, Professor Satchafunkus could have been distilled to one album of great songs, and I wouldn't miss a thing.

Honestly, even this kinda fits that mold, but with the difference being that this is actually a pretty damned cool tune:

...and, while the verses and choruses are kind of stiff, this is one of my favorite guitar solos ever:

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I meanwhile am a HUGE Satriani fan, but this was towards the beginning of the period in his career where his songwriting style was "Rage Against the Machine riff with a swing for the main riff, blues lick with one 'odd' note for color for the verse, halftime sustained chord tones with a few tonality changes for the chorus, repeat, Jimmy Page meets legato solo, fade out" which just made it sound like he was phoning it in. I think he's come out of that phase in his recent albums (I think Chickenfoot helped him get his Jimmy Page thing out of his system) but pretty much everything after Engines of Creation and up to, oh, Professor Satchafunkus could have been distilled to one album of great songs, and I wouldn't miss a thing.

Honestly, even this kinda fits that mold, but with the difference being that this is actually a pretty damned cool tune:

...and, while the verses and choruses are kind of stiff, this is one of my favorite guitar solos ever:

Those were pretty awesome. I'm not big into instrumental guitar music but theres a few songs I know that are awesome that way. Like, I really don't like jazz or anything that sounds like jazz but Shawn Lane's Grey Flying pianos sounds kind of jazzy but it's awesome. I also want to know which model Charvel he's using in the live video because I want it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts