Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I'm Mr. Fusion Guy, my 7-string guitars have been sitting in their cases for a long time. I simply have no use for a low B string anymore.

I've been toying with converting the KXK Sii-7 to a high A-string setup, in order to really take advantage of its 27-fret layout. However, since I'm tuning most of my guitars in D standard now, I thought it might make more sense to have the KXK tuned D to G in order to have it fit in. It turns out this has the added advantage of not having to buy those crazy expensive Octave4Plus strings in a .005 or .006 gauge. I bought a couple of D'Addario .007 strings today and was able to tune it up to high G with no problems. Since I use 9-42 strings for the rest of the guitar, the high G obviously has a lot more tension than the others, and I may still buy some .006 strings from Octave4Plus if this becomes a problem.

In a sense, however, I don't really have a high G, but rather a low D. My tuning is G standard + low D: D G C F Bb D G. My favorite open-string chord voicings sound very interesting transposed up a step and a half. I tune this way because I conceptualize the neck from the top strings down. It's much easier for me to adapt to an extra low string than an extra high one. The weirdest thing is having four unwound strings on the guitar.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Sounds really interesting. I've not had a 7 in quite awhile now, but this would be very interesting to try, as I'd most likely get more use out of it than a low B. I have been playing a lot from D to D.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds really interesting. I've not had a 7 in quite awhile now, but this would be very interesting to try, as I'd most likely get more use out of it than a low B. I have been playing a lot from D to D.
You also get some really nice chord voicings tuning the 5th string down from Bb to A. D G C F A D G. That way, you preserve all your D standard voicings, but you can add some interesting Holdsworthian stuff on top with the high G if you work on it. Problem is, I fall apart whenever I try to take leads with that tuning, and I don't want to spend a bunch of time figuring it out...that would probably screw me up on all my other guitars, anyway. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
If I had an 8-string, since I have no use for a low F#, I would tune it similar to that as: ADGCFADG (I tune in standard on sevens, but I would lower it a step so the guitar could handle the extra high string).

As for not needing the low B string in jazz fusion, you don't have to be just playing the B string open. I screw around with latin jazz and jazz fusion with my band's drummer a couple times a month and I just do soloing with notes on the low B string (but never playing the string open). Granted, when comping/playing chords in jazz, I never use the low B, but eh... :shrug:

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Good stuff!:) When I was experimenting with extra high strings, I did the same thing you've done: D standard with a high G, and then altering it to G standard with a low D for the sake of fretboard navigation and ease of switching between guitars. One of the things I really like was the way it made the super-high so much fuller-sounding than the would if you played them at the 22-24th frets of a guitar in standard. Playing them down a few positions made them really sing. Having four plain strings on top also made five-string sweeps sound insanely smooth.
The D'Addario 7 is excellent, and fairly durable as far as I can tell. I never once had any problem with tuning stability or breakage when I had it on my M207.

I ought to try this again, as I'm due a string-changing session soon...

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
I have one of my Ibanezes tuned up with a high A (well, Ab since it's a half step down). Fun stuff. It does look different, though. It looks almost like a 6 at first, but of course it's not.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Interesting.... I'm playing only my sixes right now... tuned to C#... putting a high F# on the 7 might be cool!

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for not needing the low B string in jazz fusion, you don't have to be just playing the B string open. I screw around with latin jazz and jazz fusion with my band's drummer a couple times a month and I just do soloing with notes on the low B string (but never playing the string open). Granted, when comping/playing chords in jazz, I never use the low B, but eh... :shrug:
That's very true. I'm not entirely sure why I stopped playing conventional sevens when I switched to fusion; it was mostly a matter of feel. I play much more up and down the neck now than I do within positions, and it seems that the low B just isn't as necessary for what I do and got in the way in terms of string muting etc. Converting it to a high G string seems to have removed that problem, though I doubt I would use that as my main guitar.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
I've never been able to get on with the sound of high tuned strings. They just sound far too cold and piercing to my ears. Here's a great demonstration video (made by Adam on ss.org).

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I've never been able to get on with the sound of high tuned strings. They just sound far too cold and piercing to my ears. Here's a great demonstration video (made by Adam on ss.org).
Chris has spoken to me before about the desire to own a 24.75" scale seven for this very reason. That high string is going to "sing" more at a shorter scale. The "cold and piercing" symptom is something that Chris, Mike, and myself have already noticed on my 27" scale guitar with the high E string. However, the low B sounds so much punchier and more aggressive at that scale.

All of this has led me to believe that a 27-25.5" fanned seven would be pretty cool (for my application) to have. For Chris, 24.75-22" would probably do exactly what he needs to do.

·
MG.org-er
2,137 Posts
Chris has spoken to me before about the desire to own a 24.75" scale seven for this very reason. That high string is going to "sing" more at a shorter scale. The "cold and piercing" symptom is something that Chris, Mike, and myself have already noticed on my 27" scale guitar with the high E string. However, the low B sounds so much punchier and more aggressive at that scale.

All of this has led me to believe that a 27-25.5" fanned seven would be pretty cool (for my application) to have. For Chris, 24.75-22" would probably do exactly what he needs to do.
Yeah, I too have noticed that shorter scale guitars just sound altogether sweeter and warmer than longer scale ones. The payoff is that the low end doesn't sound quite as aggressive. I believe that this is the concept around which fanned frets are based - the best of both words (nasty cliche :noplease:).

A 22" scale for the treble strings would probably be very effective at taming the harsher frequencies. :agreed: I believe that there is an ONI with a 22" (or thereabouts) scale.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Cool711's Sherman is 22 or 23" at the high A. I think it's strung with a standard .007 or .008 too.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
A 24.75" scale 7 with a high A would actually make me consider going back to 7's again. I just don't need the chunk of a B. I suppose there's the Warmoth stuff @ 25" too, though I think their bodies are kinda ugly.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Dan at Oni has used a fanned fret scale of 660mm(26") to 600mm(23.6") on 8 strings that run from low B to high A and he really seems to like it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Interesting.... I'm playing only my sixes right now... tuned to C#... putting a high F# on the 7 might be cool!
I was jamming to some bolt thrower the other day, and i just ended up tuning my hellraiser to that. Just put everything up one whole step.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been happy so far with the high G on my KXK. It's fun playing around with the high Bb at the 27th fret, though I can't say it's something I would use all the time. In terms of playability, I've had no problem with the string tension compared to the other strings. It feels a little different than the others, but not enough so to be a problem.

Otherwise, I suppose it's functionally no different than playing with a capo, but I do love the voicings and have already come up with a whole bunch of ideas.

As for getting a 24.75" seven, I've thought about grabbing an AX7521. However, those only have 22 frets, which takes away part of the fun of having an additional high string. Plus, the layout of those is uber-clunky.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
As for getting a 24.75" seven, I've thought about grabbing an AX7521. However, those only have 22 frets, which takes away part of the fun of having an additional high string. Plus, the layout of those is uber-clunky.
...and they're ugly and the necks are baseball bats.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts