Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Why does it take a comedian to sing it straight, without any of the show offy bullshit?

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seriously, the guy is a better singer than he really lets on.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
:agreed: I've always thought this, ever since I first heard him. He does it in a jokey fashion more often than not, and it disguises just how well he's doing so it doesn't register right away.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I know you won't agree, but I think it's incredibly ironic that the same is true of Jack White. Imagine THAT band.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
Because when Jack truly wants his "Hey! Look what I can do" moment he'll pull his shirt up and roll around on the floor while quacking like a duck. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
:agreed: I've always thought this, ever since I first heard him. He does it in a jokey fashion more often than not, and it disguises just how well he's doing so it doesn't register right away.
Yup. He's a better singer than 75% of the singers in rock who take themselves seriously.

·
Kilted Hack
480 Posts
Yup. He's a better singer than 75% of the singers in rock who take themselves seriously.
Yeah, this, though these days that number is probably closer to 90%. But he seems really uncomfortable with it. He always adds those lame "heavy metal parody-isms", even in this. I'd love to actually hear him sing some shit from his heart, without the deflecting. He has a truly lovely voice.

But a lot of comedians turned actors can't turn off their personas, either - I love Robin Williams, but even when acting straight, I can still hear his "stage voice". Contrast that with Dennis Leary, who can get rid of at least most of his stage tone when he needs to. Does that make any sense?

Comedians often have to develop their chops in response to being very emotional, empathetic people, and to being teased, bullied, etc. I think that makes it really hard to have the vulnerability to bring real shit to the table without the deflecting crutch of comedy. I don't know if Jack has the ability - or the interest - in doing that. But I'd love to hear it if he did - we've seen glimpses in Tenacious D, I think he could make a ridiculously awesome album.

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
Yeah, this, though these days that number is probably closer to 90%. But he seems really uncomfortable with it. He always adds those lame "heavy metal parody-isms", even in this. I'd love to actually hear him sing some shit from his heart, without the deflecting. He has a truly lovely voice.

But a lot of comedians turned actors can't turn off their personas, either - I love Robin Williams, but even when acting straight, I can still hear his "stage voice". Contrast that with Dennis Leary, who can get rid of at least most of his stage tone when he needs to. Does that make any sense?

Comedians often have to develop their chops in response to being very emotional, empathetic people, and to being teased, bullied, etc. I think that makes it really hard to have the vulnerability to bring real shit to the table without the deflecting crutch of comedy. I don't know if Jack has the ability - or the interest - in doing that. But I'd love to hear it if he did - we've seen glimpses in Tenacious D, I think he could make a ridiculously awesome album.
Well said. I always thought guys like jack black who could really sing but joked with it had some sort of nervousness or confidence hurdles..... when you are afraid to fuck up or be criticized, simply make it a "fun" performance ... such performances aren't meant to be the epitomal perfect soundttacks like Whitney's star spangled banner.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts