Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Poland CEO / RHLC ©
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Jackson Guitars : The Bloodline
The USA Custom Shop Rust in Peace Concert Bass features a limited-edition burned-in fallout logo and Rust in Peace themed case. Additional features include an alder body, quartersawn maple neck with a compound radius ebony fretboard, jumbo frets and pearl shark fin inlays, one EMG® 35DC bridge pickup, one EMG® 35CS neck pickup, EMG® BQS electronics, a BADASS™ bridge and Hipshot tuning machines. Fifteen four- and five-string models will be available in Black and Quicksilver for a limited run of 60 total basses.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
He played a 5 string version at the 2010 Bulgaria show "Big 4" DVD. Guess he was doing some long time testing before releasing his endorsement out.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
The silver model looks great, Ellefson was an endorser for years before he left Megadeth so why only the limited edition models?
Jackson hasn't made a five string production model for a long time because they weren't selling, and apparently bassists don't like the pointy headstock. It will be interesting to see if a "Professional Series" version of this ever appears...

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Jackson hasn't made a five string production model for a long time because they weren't selling, and apparently bassists don't like the pointy headstock. It will be interesting to see if a "Professional Series" version of this ever appears...
I think the pointy headstock looks fine, but together with the more rounded body, it's a bit out of place.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Meh, looks like a standard Dinky P with soapbars. It'll probably sound good and play well, but it's a little bland-looking for me.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
If these are anything like the original Concert basses. The nut width is going to be a bit on the smaller side. That tended to be the biggest complaint about their 5-string (AFAIR), string spacing was just a bit too narrow for fingerstyle players. Of course if you're playing galloping patterns with a pick, then this isn't really a concern.

Personally I wouldn't mind looking into that 5 string. It'd be a nice change from all the "here's our take on the J-Bass" models that nearly every luthier seems to be releasing.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Meh, looks like a standard Dinky P with soapbars. It'll probably sound good and play well, but it's a little bland-looking for me.
Our bassist has an early 90's Concert 5-string Professional, and the thing sounds like a dump truck hitting a concrete wall. Huge and aggressive.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Our bassist has an early 90's Concert 5-string Professional, and the thing sounds like a dump truck hitting a concrete wall. Huge and aggressive.
The question is, as a limited CS run, is it going to be worth what they're asking for it? I would probably posit no, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
The question is, as a limited CS run, is it going to be worth what they're asking for it? I would probably posit no, but that's just me.
That depends on what they're going to charge. Short runs tend to be much less than full custom shop prices. I'm assuming this will be somewhere around two grand, and in that case, yes, it will be worth it.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That depends on what they're going to charge. Short runs tend to be much less than full custom shop prices. I'm assuming this will be somewhere around two grand, and in that case, yes, it will be worth it.
Good point. $2k for a big-name American shop isn't too bad. Not what I would buy with $2k to spend on a bass, but I imagine this would tick the boxes nicely for all those 80s metal bands :D

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
If I had two grand for a bass, it would say Music Man on it.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Are these neckthrus? I believe his original Concerts were, but Jackson hasn't done a production neckthru bass in ages.

My Futura Pro has become my primary bass, but it's fairly subtle compared to the old '80s Concerts, which were pretty blunt weapons.

BTW, the body contours on these new basses look slightly rounder than the old Concerts, which really did look like Soloist basses.

For $2k, I'd also much rather have a Modulus than a USA Jackson bass.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Are these neckthrus? I believe his original Concerts were, but Jackson hasn't done a production neckthru bass in ages.

My Futura Pro has become my primary bass, but it's fairly subtle compared to the old '80s Concerts, which were pretty blunt weapons.

BTW, the body contours on these new basses look slightly rounder than the old Concerts, which really did look like Soloist basses.

For $2k, I'd also much rather have a Modulus than a USA Jackson bass.
You are a man of taste :metal:

I've been GASING for either a jazz style or a quantum forever.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Lame.

Modulus or GTFO.

Or maybe a Zon.
There is something about the sound of a Music Man that just crushes for metal and hard rock, which is why it would be my choice.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.