Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1986 San Dimas USA Jackson RR Flying V Randy Rhoads - eBay (item 270647849385 end time Oct-17-10 22:33:54 PDT)

Can't see this climbing above $600 (correct me if I'm wrong jacksonplayer :lol:). Assuming the kahler installation wasn't totally botched should I go for it? Would probably be looking to restore it to TOM. As you guys may know beater Jacksons don't bother me, so I wouldn't mind the extra holes. Is the finish original, looks odd for a san dimas? Maybe an ontario?

Think it would be a worthwhile project?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The kahler looks goofy as hell on a rhoads shape too (though I think they look hideous on just about anything :lol:).

Assuming that the kahler installationn wasn't botched, is there anything that would be of structural concern? I'm assuming its a smallish square route between the bridge and tailpiece, correct? Would this effect tuning stability if it was reverted back to a TOM?

Otherwise, assuming it was a well done mod, a black kahler would look less horrendous.

Probably not worth it though,

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That finish is not original.
Yeah, I thought the finish was kind of iffy. Though the hopeful part of me wanted to believe :lol: It seems like the really outlandish stuff didn't start till the Ontario era, is that pretty much correct? Other than that is it a legit 1983?

Unless if it plays exceptionaly well, its probably not worth the effort or money though.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
It looks more or less correct for an 83. I don't know why you'd refinish the guitar and not fill the string through body holes though :scratch:

Also, being that early, it's going to have the thicker "San Dimas" neck profile which is significantly thicker than the newer (1986+) "Speed" neck profile.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It looks more or less correct for an 83. I don't know why you'd refinish the guitar and not fill the string through body holes though :scratch:

Also, being that early, it's going to have the thicker "San Dimas" neck profile which is significantly thicker than the newer (1986+) "Speed" neck profile.
Who would want to refinish that? Original or not that finish is awesome :lol:

Edit: Upon cleaning the gunk out of my eyes I totally changed my mind. Pretty hideous actually :lol

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well, upon actually waking up (saw this within two minutes of getting out of bed :lol:) I'm definitely seeing that this probably isn't that great a deal (whatever i ends up going for).

If it went for near the opening bid, I'm sure one of the more skilled luthiers here could turn it into something awesome though :metal: Assuming that you could resell the EMG kahler combo for ~$150, than $200 wouldn't be a bad price for a sweet project axe. Assuming you dig the rosewood and dots, which is a huge given.

Honestly though, I have no idea what a fair price would be one this. On one hand it looks like numerous atrocities were comittied against this guitar (Kahler and Paintjob). But it the serial is infact correct its pretty cool that its one of the first twenty rhoads (Edit: First twenty or first eighty, can't tell if its a one or a seven). No idea what this will go for.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wow, that really does appear to be RR0018, which would probably fetch a nice price without the Kahler hack job. I would only buy this if you like Kahlers. Too much work needed to restore it to stock. If I liked pointies, I would probably be all over this.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Wow, that really does appear to be RR0018, which would probably fetch a nice price without the Kahler hack job. I would only buy this if you like Kahlers. Too much work needed to restore it to stock. If I liked pointies, I would probably be all over this.
I'll probably end up passing on this one, as you said, restoring to original would be costly and time consuming. But yeah, from a jackson collector standpoint its still pretty interesting, considering that is a VERY early rhoads.

I wonder if its possible to take the v plate out and put a black kahler back on? Or did they keep v plate there to keep things level? If the kahler installation was good than maybe you are just looking at the cost of a good refin in a solid color + plugging the string holes in the back/screw holes for the v plate. Although I don't like the look of a kahler on a rhoads in the frist place :lol:

I'll keep my eye on it and see if it goes cheap. Although I was just looking for a rhoads on the side, since I've tried the pointy thing before and keep coming back to superstrats, I'm probably better off waiting for the next pro listed though.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts

The V plate was cut around the base of the Kahler. It's not providing support. I suspect it was left on solely for looks.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The V plate was cut around the base of the Kahler. It's not providing support. I suspect it was left on solely for looks.
You're right, didn't see that on the first look. I think it would look better off though.

Now heres the big question, whats it worth? :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
My '85 Student Soloist w/factory Floyd (rare as fuck) didn't get any bids at $900, and a recent Soloist SLATQH w/headstock repair just sold for under $500, so I suspect this will pull probably $700 or under. The low serial number might draw a couple collectors, but most of those folks prefer Customs w/ebony and sharkies. If it was a Custom, even in this condition it would probably go for over $1,000.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
My '85 Student Soloist w/factory Floyd (rare as fuck) didn't get any bids at $900, and a recent Soloist SLATQH w/headstock repair just sold for under $500, so I suspect this will pull probably $700 or under. The low serial number might draw a couple collectors, but most of those folks prefer Customs w/ebony and sharkies. If it was a Custom, even in this condition it would probably go for over $1,000.
That Slatqh was tempting, but I doubt it would have beaten what I already have. I think I'm better off just putting all my money and setting it aside until something super interesting comes along.

But yeah, the Jackson market sucks right now. As delightful as it is to pick up the low priced jacksons, reselling them is gonna suck. My MO is picking out guitars and pitting them against eachother until I find the ones I really like. Total rule of the sith on guitars/basses, there can only be two of each a main and a backup :rofl:

By the way, you mind if I drop you a PM about appropiate pricing a few of the items I'm looking to sell? You seem to be a great source (I've totally been abusing your jackson knowledge :lol:) and I'd really rather not go to JCAF :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts

Sure, drop me a message.

I put in a lowball bid on that SLATQH, but I just don't have much need for it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.