Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Shredding 'till dead
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a J-80c and J-85 in the neck and bridge respectively of a '95 Jackson Dinky professional MIJ, body basswood (originally had a stone granite finish...so its one of those). Naturally, these are the stock PUs, and I still after all these years luv the guitar but have been very on the fence about what the PUs are doing for the instrument. I had picked up a MIJ DKMG with alder body (c. 2010 or so) last year with the 81 and 85 EMGs and feel the tonal qualities are actually quite nice, seems more rich in character etc. etc. But I definitely don't want EMGs in the '95 Dinky. And I know the tone woods are of course different here.

I've actually heard people liking the J-85s but the J-80c is the one I am particularly on the fence about especially for lead tone. I have a full shred laying around that's for the bridge position but was wondering if this would be a good swap out and what would be good to swap out the J-80c with at the neck position? Also what are the general thoughts on these two PUs?

·
Shredding 'till dead
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a basswood guitar, I'd probably go with Dimarzios over Duncans. A Tone Zone/PAF Pro combo is kind of the classic set for that purpose. Or you could go with Evolutions.
Thanks and that's what I'm learning here: Dimarzios go with the basswood.

Would it be safe to say that Duncans pair better with alder body? Also how to EMGs come into play with tone wood?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the J80C is a great bridge pickup for a more lead focused guitar or one where heaviest crunch isn't the biggest concern. I have all classic era Jackson pickups in my '92 Soloist Pro:

J80C
J200
J200R

Compared to really aggressive pickups, the bottom of the J80C is a bit soft, but that makes it better for more classic metal and it has a very aggressive, even screeching (in a good way to my ears) lead tone that doesn't really seem like it would come from a pickup with softer low end. The perfect lead tone alone is what makes me keep it (this also applies to the J50BC, which is even milder, yet screams for lead). The J90C is louder, but even mushier on the low end in my experience and generally sounds too fat, like an old prize fighter who is still strong, but can't stop eating ice cream.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.