Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jackson Swee-Tone. Ever played one? Reputation? Market value? Rarity? They were a pretty sexy (chambered?) archtop super-strat style guitar, and of course the archetype for the slightly-less good-looking MM Dominion model.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
"Slightly" less good-looking? :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Can't say about market value as there really aren't many. Most were spruce topped. The neck carve is more V shaped and old school than the traditional Jackson neck.

They got really good reviews, but the target demo was non metal guitarists (hence the "J" logo) and non metal guitarists wouldn't give a Jackson the time of day...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Can't say about market value as there really aren't many. Most were spruce topped. The neck carve is more V shaped and old school than the traditional Jackson neck.

They got really good reviews, but the target demo was non metal guitarists (hence the "J" logo) and non metal guitarists wouldn't give a Jackson the time of day...
That actually sounds pretty awesome.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
He used to play metal. Now he's old.
As opposed to you, Mr. Fountain of Youth. :lol:

At the Baltimore Guitar Center a few years ago, I got to play one of the SweeTones. It was the version with the three single-coils. A very weird pickup combination: Tele bridge, Strat middle, and P90 neck. I gotta say, the thing played and sounded fucking amazing. Now that I'm an elderly jazzhead, I really wish I'd grabbed it. They look like something you'd get from a high-end boutique builder.

Be aware that they have a 25" scale like a PRS. Some like that, some don't.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thinking of buying one Soop?
Not at the moment, but I just watched the LoG Killadelphia DVD and I kept thinking, "Wait, that's not an Ibanez... wait, that's not a Dominion... what the fuck?" and then remembered it was some crazy Jackson they probably made 235 copies of and discontinued.

At the Baltimore Guitar Center a few years ago, I got to play one of the SweeTones. It was the version with the three single-coils. A very weird pickup combination: Tele bridge, Strat middle, and P90 neck. I gotta say, the thing played and sounded fucking amazing. Now that I'm an elderly jazzhead, I really wish I'd grabbed it. They look like something you'd get from a high-end boutique builder.

Be aware that they have a 25" scale like a PRS. Some like that, some don't.
Agreed, and the 25" scale is just fine by me. :yesway:

Also, that is one wacky-ass pickup selection, but I kind of like it. I might be tempted, though, to put a splittable humbucker in the bridge. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of thosel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts