Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any tone quality that superseded another under these two comparison?

i know both are entirely different wood build but just to know which of these sounds better in tone quality wise on its own properties. ..?

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
Well considering the Jackson could be spec'd to anything and if I'm not mistaken there are a variety of Dellingers - this is impossible to answer without more information!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Define better? I use Caparisons (A Dellinger and an Angelus) and have another on the way next year. The biggest difference between them is the neck by and far. The neck on a Dellinger is larger and I find more comfortable to play as it has a nice transitional carve from a D at the nut to a C at the high end and has a wonderful feel under hand. The Jackson neck is very thin and pretty flat comparatively which I find fatiguing to play. Tone wood wise, both are available in a few different types (Caparisons do maple/mahogany and mahogany/walnut only though) so it comes down to what you want in that area.

I prefer Caparison as they sound killer for my needs and the necks are perfect to me plus there's a meticulous attention to detail on every one I've picked up however they're not for everyone.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I also own a Dellinger II and really like it. It is a bit darker sounding than id like but it plays really well and i find the neck really comfortable.

Mine is an old all mahogony body. New caparisons have mahogany wings and maple through the middle so id imagine they are a lot brighter. My friend has a horus thats built using the new construction and it is very bright sounding.

I'm not really familiar with any higher end Jacksons to compare them to.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah, the older all mahogany ones can be a little dark. My Dellinger SE HGS can get a little dark on some amps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh man !! so many wows on caparison.... am planning maybe either a jackson or an angelus .... i used to own jackson sl2h and its nice but it lacks of the tone i think its supposed to have its not bright nor warm...maybe its due to its maple neck and alder wings with a super thick lacquer on it and had actually found fillers on the wood of the pickup cavity...

i wonder if any jackson owner who can justify this but am sure i didnt see my ibanez filling up with white fillers on the cavity of the pickups....

i wonder if caparison user would come across it ?
funny it does but my love towards a jackson still inside me .... but i rather go with facts than instinct maybe a caparison would really satisfy me?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
All companies use various forms of filler for various reasons on regular production models. However an Angelus is completely different to a Jackson. Angelus is more like a metal version of a Les Paul or a thicker PRS. The scale is only 24.75 to start with and the body is incredibly thick. I love my Angelus and it plays beautifully and the sound is that classic set neck thick mahogany/maple roundness.

As far as super thick lacquer, most production guitars will have a thick polyester or polyurethane lacquer as it's easier and quicker to apply thickly than a fine coat. If you're going for a Jackson Select or a Caparison the finish is much thinner. The finish on my Angelus is about as thin as a nitro finish.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Then go for a TAT, through neck with a 25.5 scale and alder body for killer cut in the mix.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted

What's wrong with a bolt on?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
yeah i used to think that neck through was superior to bolt on because of the difference in brightness between my ESP Horizon and Caparison. Then i bought a suhr....

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Bolt on has its own characteristics, I find both equally useable depending on the guitar.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts