Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community!
Anybody owns a Northern Lights Jackson SL7P?
I'm considering to buy one, but first I'd like to read some honest opinions and reviews about it, especially considering it's got a 25.5" scale and stock SD Distortions in it.
I play death/thrash/prog/djent, both lead and rhythm, usually in standard tuning ebgdaeb, or drop A ebgdaeA. Thanks everyone!

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Welcome!

If it plays like any other SL series Soloist I’ve strummed and the price was right I’d buy that all day. Great action, super fast neck & Duncan Ds are tried and true.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
I have seen Jackson taking a lot of flak lately over inconsistent QC on import models but I just picked up an import SL2 (Made in Korea) and it is fantastic. If it isn't possible to try it out I would look for a shop with a decent return policy in case it doesn't work out.

·
Premium Member
11,447 Posts
Yep. same opinion as on SSO - the QC is kinda inconsistent, but when you get one that's good, they're pretty good guitars. Jacksonplayer here has the Floyd version, so I'm sure he'll weigh in soon.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
Yep, I've got the Floyd version, and mine is very nice. Here's my NGD thread from last year, where you can read all about it:

https://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/guitar-instrument-discussion/106840-ngd-jackson-sl7.html

My comments from then still apply, except that I've got a Suhr Hot 7 pickup in the bridge, which works better for the type of music I play.

I still haven't changed out the tuners on mine, which are total crap. Lots of slippage at only a couple years old. Since mine has a Floyd nut, the tuners aren't as big a deal. It'd be more of an issue on the fixed-bridge version.

The other thing I'd be concerned with is that you'd almost certainly need to place a piece of foam behind the nut. Reverse inline 7-string headstocks are actually a terrible idea, as you're going to get a ton of unwanted resonance from the low B string behind the nut. On mine it doesn't matter because of the locknut, but again this would be different for you.

The Indonesian Jacksons have some issues with inconsistent build quality. I see that you're in Europe, and I know that Jacksons can be harder to find locally to try out. Just know that if you buy one online, there's at least some chance that it'll come with a problem or two that needs fixing. This guitar had messed-up wiring that I fixed myself. Another Indonesian Jackson I bought (from the mid-level X Series) had the holes for the bridge drilled incorrectly, so the tailpiece literally fell out when I tried to adjust its height. That one required a professional warranty repair.

You'd probably be safer getting an ESP LTD H-1007, but the Jackson would probably be a nicer guitar overall.

·
I am Groot
32,447 Posts
The other thing I'd be concerned with is that you'd almost certainly need to place a piece of foam behind the nut. Reverse inline 7-string headstocks are actually a terrible idea, as you're going to get a ton of unwanted resonance from the low B string behind the nut. On mine it doesn't matter because of the locknut, but again this would be different for you.
+1 My KxK Sii-7 has this problem big time. Both the low B and low E.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
M-1007HT is essentially the same guitar. The LTD QC has been better from what I've seen.
Holy shit, it really is the same thing!

https://www.espguitars.com/products/21856-m-1007ht

The main differences would be the soapbar pickup routs and the neck profile. My SL7 has a *classic* Jackson profile on it, which surprised me a bit as the Indonesian SL2s I've played haven't. Admittedly that's a small sample size. The ESP would probably have a slightly thicker, rounder neck profile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts