Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And immediately I'm confronted with something infuriating; the trem posts are not standard, from what I can tell.

I already own a fully working Jackson Stealth, and I snagged this parts kit of InTheRavensName a few years back. Now that I have the time I've set out to refinish it. First thing that I noticed before I prepare and prime it for refinishing is that there a couple of knocks around trem posts, so before filling them in I just wanted to check the posts were sitting straight in the studs and that they hadn't ovalled or been put in squint.

So I take my other Jackson apart, remover the trem (Jackson JT580 IIRC) and put the studs in the other guitar. And they don't fit. On closer inspection each is packed over with glue, which I've removed, but after some A/Bing (no calipers) they are clearly different thread sizes.

Interesting, since they are identical guitars (same year of production even) but the glue has me worried - have the studs been replaced? Will need to wait til next week when I get the original posts back from storage (I have the other trem here, but since it's the posts that are the problem...)

Infuriating, as I was hoping to do a 'touching up chips' tutorial, but I have to wait now...

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
'Working' Stealth:

Project trem post treble side:

Project trem post bass side:

Original 'working' trem:

For anyone curious, it's going to come out this sort of colour:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I'm guessing an owner glued in the studs. I can't remember, did that Stealth variant have a basswood body? If so, that could explain the reason for the glue (similar to the Ibanez locking studs). It also looks like they filled in the screw holes for the pickup ring.

BTW, I approve of the color choice! :yesway:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pickup screw holes are there, just the angle of the shot. The guitar should be, as far as I can tell, a -91 or '92 Jackson Stealth EX model:

Basswood body, Eastern Rock Maple neck, rosewood, JT-580 trem unit.

Anyone know if I can drop an Edge in the LFR mounts?

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The same studs would probably work for an Edge, but I don't know if the intonation would be proper or whether the Edge would fit without routing out the recess further.

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
drill and dowel and replace with better posts

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Managed to source replacement posts, woo.

They are getting sent from Luxembourg though - didn't know they had a postal system there...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts