Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is on the new Justice release but holy fuck that tone. Any idea what James was using around this time? Sounds like a Mesa but I could be wrong.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
As far as I know, they just got their Mesa's before cutting AJFA. So this could be it.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Master of Puppets was the send of a Mark IIc+ into the return of a Marshall head, if memory serves.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds just like the album version....no bass.

How are we 5 posts into this thread and I'm the first one to make this joke?

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
As far as I know, they just got their Mesa's before cutting AJFA. So this could be it.
Coulda swore they used Mesas as early as 1985. Hell I think Kirk used a Mark IIC+ since 1984.

But yeah I'm going with a Mark IIC+ as well. Sounds like the AFJA tone, but with more mids and more gain.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
There's a story out there that they had a gear theft or amp blow or something on the RTL tour, and they found a Mark II in a guitar shop and it blew them away. As Dave said, they used the Mark IIc+ preamp through a Marshall's power section for MOP, and IIRC the IIc+ was the sound of AJFA. I mean, listening to AJFA, it's clearly a Mark with probably a TS of some kind in front to push it, which would mean they're using the IIc+ or a III on that album. From my own experience the IIc+ amps cut a bit more and IIIs are a bit grittier (though the differences are really marginal), but to my ears that's a IIc+ on AJFA. With no damn mids at all :lol:

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
There's a story out there that they had a gear theft or amp blow or something on the RTL tour, and they found a Mark II in a guitar shop and it blew them away. As Dave said, they used the Mark IIc+ preamp through a Marshall's power section for MOP, and IIRC the IIc+ was the sound of AJFA. I mean, listening to AJFA, it's clearly a Mark with probably a TS of some kind in front to push it, which would mean they're using the IIc+ or a III on that album. From my own experience the IIc+ amps cut a bit more and IIIs are a bit grittier (though the differences are really marginal), but to my ears that's a IIc+ on AJFA. With no damn mids at all :lol:
It does kinda sound like a III. Does have that extra Marshally grit I find the Mark III has. Plus more gain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts