Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a thread about trying to use Skype for this but after some Googlage, it doesn't seem like it'll work.

What are folks using to do this? My buddy lives in NC, and we'd like to try and jam over the web. With Skype, I was able to route my Axe-Fx to him and he mic'd up his drums so that I could hear them, but one kept muting the other. I want to hear just him (since I have wedges in the room) and he wants to hear just me (since drums are loud).

What are the alternatives? Mostly we just want to jam and don't give a fuck about recording.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might want to check out Jamlink. I have no experience with it but it is made for this.
Thanks! It's a little pricey, but if it works I suppose it's worth it.

jamLink Catalog MusicianLink

It's a shame because Skype works perfect one way at a time. He can hear me fine, I can hear him fine, but whenever I start playing it mutes his end (and vice versa).

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Is he in a Mac? If so, have you tried iChat or Facetime? Both are a lot better than Skype, at least in terms of regular video conferencing.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. :\

The nice thing about Skype is that I can set my Axe-Fx USB as the soundcard, and then route it over to him. So I'm not micing up anything.

The not so nice thing is that the rest of it doesn't work. :lol:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
No. :\

The nice thing about Skype is that I can set my Axe-Fx USB as the soundcard, and then route it over to him. So I'm not micing up anything.

The not so nice thing is that the rest of it doesn't work. :lol:
You should be able to do that with any app; I've routed my old Toneport to iChat, so that the guitar and voice mic go through. The problem is the latency makes it nearly impossible to play together.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should be able to do that with any app; I've routed my old Toneport to iChat, so that the guitar and voice mic go through. The problem is the latency makes it nearly impossible to play together.
You are not telling me anything I don't know, sir. :wub:

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Latency exists no matter what you're doing over the internet. Even phone jamming isn't perfect due to latency, and that's a lot less than you'll get over the internet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts