Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new roommate Carolyn's bro plays trumpet in these guys, and she was playing this for me earlier. I have no clue how to characterize this, save that it's pretty fucking cool.

I don't think this will be for everyone here, but I bet at least six or eight of you will dig this. Go pour yourself a scotch or bourbon, settle into a nice chair, imagine you're at a really rough jazz club, and hit play.

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I did dig that in "it's totally beyond musical classification" sort of way. Of course that is about 50% of what I listen to anymore.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We need to find a few clubs that have this type of music going in Boston, D, and start frequenting them. :yesway:
BTW, I HAD a place like this - there was this dive-y looking wine bar several blocks down the road from my place that booked live jazz a couple nights a week and had an awesome piano trio on Thursdays (and I don't normally like piano jazz). It closed about three weeks after we discovered it, unfortunately. :(

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I had a place like this in Cincy, right off campus. The music college down there is pretty intense, and it produced / attracted a lot of great musicians. I'd go see this particular jazz group every Monday night, and they would invite different musicians every week. It was interesting to hear them play the same songs, but they were so unbelievably different with the different players.

I miss that place.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
This reminds me a bit of Ornette Coleman. Good stuff!

DC has a place called Twins Jazz that regularly books avant-garde jazz like this. Most of the jazz clubs here book tamer fare, but Twins gets some good acts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.