Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
Exactly the trem shit I was talking about....fucking irks the shit out of me. :shrug:
I love his trem work and have sort of ripped it off for myself in recent years, so I guess you'll hate my playing now. :lol:

Still, though, have you heard his work from the Seventies? He didn't use the trem nearly as much then. In fact, he used a Les Paul or a Telecaster until the Blow By Blow sessions, where he started incorporating a Strat into the mix.

I also disagree with Drew about Blow By Blow...it's all about phrasing and texture, not pyrotechnics. There's not an imperfect note on the entire album, and his work then was clearly the blueprint Satriani used.

·
Wyrd 8 Stringer
241 Posts
Beck really has grown the most out of the British triumvirate that included Clapton and Page.
Blow By Blow, while sounding dated as hell, has a lot of great playing and ideas. The thing that kinda bugs me about Beck is that he'll have a great motif but then proceed to beat it to death. I think his soloing is very expressive bordering on sounding like a vocalist, which I think is pretty damn amazing. Some great footage of him with Tal Wilkenfeld and Vinnie Colaiuta. He's definitely worth putting some time into.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I also disagree with Drew about Blow By Blow...it's all about phrasing and texture, not pyrotechnics. There's not an imperfect note on the entire album, and his work then was clearly the blueprint Satriani used.
Oddly, I agree with you on this, certainly the latter part about Satch. I just didn't find it a very interesting album - it probably was more so pre-Satriani than post, to be fair.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.