Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I haven't heard this in about 15 years, but decided to reinvestigate it just now for some reason...

Incredible album, and a classic piece of British sci-fi. I actually still have the copy of the book my grandma gave me when I was eight.:)

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is great stuff :metal:

When I was growing up they used to play the instrumental opening as the theme music for German football broadcasts. My mom called up the station to ask what the music was then we bought the album. :hbang:

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts
Absolute classic, I grew up with this album. The only thing that could improve it is the forced removal of David Essex.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I've owned this in one form or another since it came out. I always remember it as "road trip" music - my family used to listen to it when were on one of our epic car trips from NY to VA or OH for family visits. I still do, when I'm by myself - it's definitely the best of it's genre. :yesway:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Totally forgot about this album.

Interestingly enough, I actually had the same "road trip music" experience as Mike. As cheesy as it sounds, whenever I hear this track, I totally start tapping my toes. :lol:

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I got introduced to this at a young age as my parents have it on vinyl, and I've loved it ever since. I've got the original cd, the remastered/remixed cd and I've got the dvd of the frankly increadible live show. If you like this, you HAVE to buy the live dvd.

I keep debating about looking for the "Ulla-Dub-Ulla" dance remix cd, but I'm worried it'll just be shit.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Wow..Forgot all about this. Gold.

Live dvd? Whhhhhhaaaat?

Heard this when I was pretty young the first time and did not really appreciate it.. Listened to it through a few times in my late teens when I was..lets just say...experimenting.

I always liked this section. A few parts still give me goose bumps.

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Worlds-Live-DVD/dp/B000I6AMW2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277474917&sr=8-1]The War Of The Worlds Live [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Jeff Wayne: DVD[/ame]

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
This is quite possibly my favourite album. I also grew up with this. Used to sit with headphones on, staring at the awesome book that came with it. Probably the first album I got really lost in.

I think the whole album has potential for reinterpreting. No way can it be improved upon, but I love it so much, I've always thought of having a stab at it. I did a very simple cover of Forever Autumn with Greg Pope. We've actually just redone it because no care was taken before. It just needs mixing.

So an enormous thumbs up for me :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts