Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Everyone's jumping on the FRFR bandwagon these days. Other than the Fractal, the Kemper and the Pod, there really aren't any other options.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Everyone's jumping on the FRFR bandwagon these days. Other than the Fractal, the Kemper and the Pod, there really aren't any other options.
There's the Vox Tonelab. Yeah, not the same league, but it's an option for some people. There's also DAW-based plugins like Guitar Rig, Revalver, Waves GTR, etc, which IIRC, the dude from Deftones used before switching to Axe FX. There's options out there for FRFR fanatics, not too many, but it's relatively new and rapidly progressing technology. I'm certain we will see more and more FRFR setups in the coming years, especially in the metal scene.

I'm an Axe FX owner the the biggest problem with using it for band purposes is that most FRFR setups aren't going to be enough for a backline competing with 100watt tube amps and 412 cabinets. There's some people using those Mackie HD series, but they are heavy and the negative reviews hold me back. This really evens the score if it turns out to be solid cabinet with even frequency response. The local shop here recently became a Jet City dealer too, and since a buddy works there, I might be able to snag one of these 700DPs on discount when it's released. I'm pumped!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The DAW based solutions are there, but (imo, of course) that's something that should be paired with studio monitors, not a 4x12 FRFR cab.

I don't want to have to tether my rig to my computer every time I want to use it, and I doubt the majority of other players do either, know what I mean?

Valid point, though. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
If that thing sounds decent. It will be a cool solution for guys who want to gig with the their POD or Axe-Fx rigs.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I think the main bonus is that the cab looks like an ordinary 4x12, which appeases many more "traditionally-minded" guitarists.

·
Lord Super Awesome
5,701 Posts
I'm an Axe FX owner the the biggest problem with using it for band purposes is that most FRFR setups aren't going to be enough for a backline competing with 100watt tube amps and 412 cabinets. There's some people using those Mackie HD series, but they are heavy and the negative reviews hold me back. This really evens the score if it turns out to be solid cabinet with even frequency response. The local shop here recently became a Jet City dealer too, and since a buddy works there, I might be able to snag one of these 700DPs on discount when it's released. I'm pumped!
I've used my AxeFx w/ a pair of QSC K12 speakers for several show now (for both guitar & bass applications) & I've had nothing but steller results. One monitor points toward the crowd (like where a traditional guitar cab would be) & the other is used as a monitor up front or a sidefill. I heard myself perfectly. It was clearer than any rig I've used before due to the wide dispersion. Plus, the soundguy LOVES this setup. I have enough volume coming off the stage to fill out the front of the stage without the directional overbearingness of most traditional cabs & the soundguy has volume control of the PA to fill the room.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I have a pair of the Mackie HDs, and they are fucking awesome, btw.

:2c:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts