Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Argue among yourselves. He hasn't posted which tube is which yet.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Problem number one, he's doing this on YouTube, which is notorious for tone-destroying, fizz-inducing levels of compression. Still, and interesting idea, so I'll give it a listen.

I bet 2 or 4 is the JJ. It has that muffled character that I am used to hearing from them. So far, I like 1 the best, since it seems to leap out of the mix best.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I like 2, which also seems to be the lowest-gain. I'm going to guess that's the Blue Retrovalve.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
They all sound like fizzy shit, so that's kind of a problem. I don't know if that's YouTube doing the usual thing as Dave says, or the amp. I don't know, never played one nor heard one in real life.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Interesting. Quality is clearly a problem here, but on a first pass #4 sounded the best clean, though distorted for riffing I might go with three.

Really, the most interesting part is none of them is exactly awful. Though, I'd be curious to hear how they responded and "felt" at a lower gain setting, and I've always thought the power section matters way more than the pre.

·
I Am The Tweaker
490 Posts
For me, if I were to get an all tube head, I would want to get analog replacements for the power tubes. Comparatively speaking, pre amp tubes last quite a long time and aren't very expensive. Whereas power tubes take a lot more abuse and cost twice as much. If/when AMT gets their power tube analogs out, that's a comparison I'd like to hear.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
if u have the patience, TTK did another review.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts