Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

So, I have been using the Jim Dunlop Jazz III XL picks for a couple of years... The size/gauge/thickness is great, the grip is good enough... They work for me. I'm really used to them and keep buying them again, and again.

But, I'm still struggling to find the differences between the different materials they are made of...

Can't really tell. Maybe I'm a bit "sensori-neural challenged", I don't know.... There should be a clearly noticeable difference between them... I usually just go by the colors. Reds are easier to find when dropped! :)

I find the black ones, "Stiffo", well... I find them softer than the Red ones. (!?) The Ultex ones feel even harder to me, and thicker (?).

I have a bunch of each laying around and I have been using them alternately to try to figure this out!

What are your thoughts on this? Red, Stiffo or Ultex? Why? What do you feel makes them different from each other one?

I'm ordering a lot of picks soon and I decided I'm not getting a bunch of all available materials, like I usually do. I'm going to go for one of them only and I would like to have my mind, and fingers, and ears (?) settled on this...

Please, share you thoughts and experiences.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I go back and forth between the Ultex and the carbon fiber. I get get a better grip with the carbon fiber, but the Ultexes sound a little better to me.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Delrin is POM, Ultex is just a fancy word for PEEK.
PEEK is made up from longer polymere chains, thus far more durable.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
I'll be honest I have never tried the Ultex, but found the Red Nylon XL to be great, and Black Stiffo very similar. But after trying the non-XL (the small JazzIII) "MaxGrip", I found my favourite type of grip which the XL does not offer but also found the Carbon Fiber (dark gray, which XL unfortunately does not offer either) to be the most responsive and clearest attack, as well as the stiffest for it's size. Might be worth a shot, smaller than the XL but with amore gripping texture.

I go back and forth between the Ultex and the carbon fiber. I get get a better grip with the carbon fiber, but the Ultexes sound a little better to me.
I wish they made Ultex Max Grip...

I like the Ultex because it doesnt wear as fast. I also like the john petrucci black ones because it has a nice grip on it.
Those are actually a bit smaller than the XL but slightly bigger than the regular JazzIII, right?

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
I prefer the Ultex cause its the righ size but I also use the Max Grip because of the better grip :)

Sometimes I scratch the Ultex with a X acto knife (or similar) so it grabs better. You can also do small drills on them if your in the mood :)

·
Registered
Ibanez JIVA10
52 Posts
I have tried many picks recently, including the Dunlop Ultex Jazz III, and all three versions of the Dunlop Max Grip Jazz III - Red Nylon, Black Stiffo and Carbon Fiber. To me, the Ultex has a harder surface than the Max Grips, although the stiffness is the same. Among the Max Grips, the Red Nylon has the hardest surface, followed by the Black Stiffo, with the Carbon Fiber's having the softest surface, although the stiffness of the three seems the same. Presently, I am using all three versions of the Max Grip Jazz III. I cannot decide which one I like best.

I also liked the PrimeTone Jazz III picks that I bought in March. However, when I bought some more in August, they felt different from the ones that I got in March, not as much grip. I complained to Dunlop and was told that the picks that I got in March were outliers, had more grip than was intended. Dunlop intends the PrimeTone Jazz III for someone who frequently shifts the pick while playing and would find too much grip to be a hindrance. As an aside, Dunlop replaced the picks that I did not like with a satisfactory substitute.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys! Thanks a lot for you input and advice.

I've decided I'm up for more "research" as there are a couple ones I haven't tried yet, for example the Max Grip Jazz III's. I don't know about going for a smaller size... Some Tortex ones too!

"On paper", a Jazz II XL "Max Grip" would be the right choice... Black "Stiffo", maybe...

I think most of you guys don't really give too much attention to picks (?!) and still go back and forth between several materials, thickness and sizes...

Still, I still want to get this decision over with. I'll order another "test batch" and then for the "right one" only, in big numbers.

I like Jazz III XL's! Something rigid, durable, 1mm+, a little "pointy" and with a "soft-ish feel"... So what else do you thing I should try? Any and all suggestions welcomed!

Willing to try anything, really. Let's stop all this "pick non-sense" and start getting better at playing the damn guitar...

Thanks, again!

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
I think most of you guys don't really give too much attention to picks (?!) and still go back and forth between several materials, thickness and sizes...

I like Jazz III XL's! Something rigid, durable, 1mm+, a little "pointy" and with a "soft-ish feel"... So what else do you thing I should try? Any and all suggestions welcomed!
I probably give too much attention to picks too, when I'm unsatisfied with how they react to my technique. It's really a matter of tastes obviously and what fits better with your technique.

To be honest I played with regular shape picks for a long time until recently (16 last years) and came up with two favourites: the Brain 1.17mm and Dunlop Maxgrip 1.5mm, and I never liked the Jazz because they didn't make XL with Maxgrip. When I tried the JazzIII Maxgrip last year I found that size didn't matter anymore since the grip is pretty great (ha) and it actually helped my technique, forcing me to have better picking dynamic and this ended up making it easier for me to do pinch harmonics since it forces your thumb closer to the tip.

Now I'll say it again, I might be crazy but my picking sounds more defined and pinch harmonics are easier with the Carbon Fiber JazzIII Maxgrip, and so far I haven't dropped it, I guess it just ended up being good for me, so I'm sure you're discover what's good for you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey guys! Thanks for your input!

I guess I'm sticking with Jazz IIIs, I already have some Stiffo/Red/Ultex XL ones around the house and I've just ordered a bunch more of them to have this finally sorted. Primetone, Tortex and Max Grip in both regular and XL sizes coming my way for the ultimate test. I hope I finally find which one is my definitive favorite pick...

For now, "on paper", a Jazz III XL Stiffo "Max Grip" would be the perfect choice for me... Dunlop should start making those!

Ah, I also ordered some more 1.38 to 1.5mm picks to make sure the Jazz IIIs are the right choice. Mostly Dunlop picks. Delrin Standard, Ultex Sharp, Gator Grip and some more... Dunlop Tortex The Wedge look great to but at a maximum 1.14mm, might not be thick enough for my taste.

Let's do this! Let's find the "right pick"!

I'll post some feedback later.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I find that the red ones (regular III's, not XL's) warm up and get flexible pretty quick. They also wear away pretty fast - I kill picks within a couple weeks if I use the same one.

Ultex line is definitely more durable. I've noticed the difference in pick attack between black/red/ultex, but it has been a long time since I had one of each out to hear what those differences actually were.

I may switch back to Ultex for live - the poor red ones don't stand a chance. I wear the tip off pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
Also add to your list the ultex jazz III 2.0.

They're what I'm using after a shoot out between Jazz III, stiffos, Max grips, XLs, normal Ultex IIIs, JPs and small pointy V-Picks. Thicker pick tends to allow you to relax a little more, and they have the sharpest tip. V-Picks come in second, but their wear behaviour is weird for me; they wear very little, but I do knock little chunks out of them. Might just be my pick attack. Ultex 2.0s are holding up very well indeed, wear wise.

·
glass enthusiast
1,665 Posts
Also add to your list the ultex jazz III 2.0.

They're what I'm using after a shoot out between Jazz III, stiffos, Max grips, XLs, normal Ultex IIIs, JPs and small pointy V-Picks. Thicker pick tends to allow you to relax a little more, and they have the sharpest tip. V-Picks come in second, but their wear behaviour is weird for me; they wear very little, but I do knock little chunks out of them. Might just be my pick attack. Ultex 2.0s are holding up very well indeed, wear wise.
:agreed: With the Ultex 2mm ones, I find that they make tremolo picking a lot easier. I would prefer it if they had a nice grip but they're my pick of choice at the moment.

·
HEAVY HACKJOB RIFFER
874 Posts
For now, "on paper", a Jazz III XL Stiffo "Max Grip" would be the perfect choice for me... Dunlop should start making those!
Agreed.

But what about the JazzIII Carbon Fiber Max Grip? Have you ordered any of those? You have to try the Carbon Fiber, try it, just try it.

Also don't listen to these guys, as if durability of a pick is important (just being a goof here). I mean as long as I can play a full song without dulling the tip or losing chunks of it, I think the tone/feel/response/grip is more important than durability.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I have had a 2.0 tear drop pick and I could not handle the discrepancy between that and a 1.14mm pick (the usual III's as far as I know).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Agreed.

But what about the JazzIII Carbon Fiber Max Grip? Have you ordered any of those? You have to try the Carbon Fiber, try it, just try it.
Yes, I ordered some of those too. They are the "normal", smaller sized, Jazz IIIs, right? I've grown accustomed to the bigger XL ones... But yeah, I'm curious about whatever those "carbon fiber" ones feels like. Also big expectations about the Primetones. Ordered those in both regular and XL sizes. They are expensive... Dunlop kind of markets them like "premium/gourmet picks" (??!).

I have had a 2.0 tear drop pick and I could not handle the discrepancy between that and a 1.14mm pick (the usual III's as far as I know).
1.38. "Usual III's" are 1.38, for me at least... I'm currently in the 1.38-1.50 "territory". Haven't tried anything thicker. Well, I have... And didn't like it very much. The "sweet spot" for me will be around 1.38-1.50, I guess...

Thanks everyone for your input and interest in participating!

I'll keep you guys updated on my "pick findings"!

Cheers.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
I've used the red or black XLs exclusively for like 8 years, they're different, but it's not enough to make me grab one over the other.

FWIW, D'addario/Planet Waves make Jazz III esque picks you should check out, good stuff, not quite big enough to top the XL, but bigger than the regular Dunlop Jazzes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've used the red or black XLs exclusively for like 8 years, they're different, but it's not enough to make me grab one over the other.

FWIW, D'addario/Planet Waves make Jazz III esque picks you should check out, good stuff, not quite big enough to top the XL, but bigger than the regular Dunlop Jazzes.
Thank you. I've just checked. These are the Nylpro and Nylpro Plus, Jazz Shape, right? 1.4mm. I'm trying those two. Let me see if I can get them as "singles"...

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I like the nylpro's too. You should be able to get any "regular" pick as a single, I'd imagine.

Also, I don't quite understand the people who want Jazz III's in full-size pick form. The whole point of the jazz III is that it's a smaller pick requiring less effort to accomplish the same task :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts