Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Has anyone actually tried this?

Each volume control doubles as a push-pull to split it's respective pick-up.
One tone control doubles as a phase switch.
The other doubles as a series/parallel switch.

The above vid shows what it means (pretty crappy sound quality, but not a bad demo). As an aside, the guy has a neat way of playing The Rain Song in standard tuning...

It looks like it could actually be pretty cool...

·
AVH Guitar Repair
327 Posts
Yes. I've done this mod a handful of times for customers, while it's not my bag, it does bring out a whack of different tones from a LP. To me, a Les Paul should basically sound just as it was intended - a Les Paul. The phase switching is about the most interesting part of it, imo. Single coil tones from a LP is just....wrong. :lol: I pick up my strat or tele if I want that, and done better too.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The out-of-phase setting gives you that really nasal Peter Green tone from an LP. That is something I'd do if I ever got one.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I haven't personally done it, but my uncle has done it on two or three of his Les Pauls. When I was in college, he leant me his Gibson Les Paul Custom II that had this mod done to it.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I don't think I'd want to do this to a gigging guitar, but for a studio one it could be fun.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
I've had plenty of guitars with phase switching over the years and maybe found a use for it once.

The Jimmy Page wiring is cool, but I've always preferred switches for that stuff rather than push-pull pots.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In all fairness, if you don't pull any of the knobs, it's just a normal LP...
That's what I was thinking. You get the convenience of a regular three way, plus a few wierder sounds in reserve for recording.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think this kind of switching is more useful in live situations than it would be for recording.

In the studio, you'd just pull out your Strat or Tele and record with that. But live, you don't necessarily want to be switching the feel of the entire instrument mid-set. Being able to access "pseudo-Tele" tones without switching guitars is useful. Or at least it is to me. :)

I just have two pots on my Dean, and i have each pickup set to switch between series and parallel modes, and i find it gives me just enough twang to give me some options outside of the usual humbucker tones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.