Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
You do realise that part of his tech's job is to procure and acquire old vintage guitars from whatever city they happen to be playing in that night? :lol: It's no wonder he's got all this shit.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I've been a huge JB fan for years now and he's definitely earned it all. He's gotta be one of the hardest working guys in the business. Not to mention a money making/earning machine what with tours, merch, dvd's and the amount of records he puts out.

His collection is just insane. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I'm not a fan of his
Watch this and you will be. Shame all the proper HQ versions of this seem to have been overrun by rips on Youtube but this is decent enough.

The middle/lead section especially is a clinic on how to kick ass. ~3:30 onward.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Watch this and you will be. Shame all the proper HQ versions of this seem to have been overrun by rips on Youtube but this is decent enough.

The middle/lead section especially is a clinic on how to kick ass. ~3:30 onward.

That's how you beat a Ball. :yesway:

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
I love Bonamassa, in fact I just bought tickets to see him in April. Can't wait to hear some awesome vintage Fender Tweeds on the verge of exploding.

He really has a great collection, but as Mattayus said, he buys stuff wherever he goes on tour. When he was in Manchester he went to Toneworld (now closed down) and convinced them to sell him their Klon that wasn't for sale :lol:

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I'll never understand the dislike for Bonamassa. He is such a likeable guy, and a gear nut like all of us, and man can he play. :metal:

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't HATE the guy but what I've heard (including the clip above) leaves me meh. Nothing in his playing really grabs me and his Blues Brother / Swagger stage persona puts me off. Guy does have a mean personal collection, though.

·
I have angered the Noodles
2,662 Posts
I don't HATE the guy but what I've heard (including the clip above) leaves me meh. Nothing in his playing really grabs me and his Blues Brother / Swagger stage persona puts me off. Guy does have a mean personal collection, though.
Oh that wasn't directed at you, just prompted the thought. If you read any threads over at TGP about him those guys have a raging boner about how much they dislike him.

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's all good. :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I'd hate to see the rider on his homeowner's insurance policy. :lol:

He's a ridiculously talented player. However, I never felt like he developed his own musical identity--maybe he was just too good at imitating his heroes when he was young. It's your mistakes that really turn you into you.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'd hate to see the rider on his homeowner's insurance policy. :lol:

He's a ridiculously talented player. However, I never felt like he developed his own musical identity--maybe he was just too good at imitating his heroes when he was young. It's your mistakes that really turn you into you.
That's a good way to put it, actually. He has a few memorable songs, but most of it is "pleasant blues rock" without much of an edge. I do enjoy listening to him, but it's not an "active" listening.

·
Registered
166 Posts
He does a great Gary Moore cover in that same show, his playing and tone are both awesome. It's a slow tune, kicks in with a nice lead around 5 minutes in:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
I like how he complains about "players" not being able to get nice pieces for "normal" money, and then tells us exactly how he's a part of creating the problem in nearly the very next breath :lol:

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
He better be a non-smoker :lol:

Dude was awesome with Bonham Jr. in Bloodline (more like jazz-rock than blues soloing on that one) & I really liked some of the early dvd's (club gigs...he cut loose more in those than he does these days..) have'nt really checked out too many of his studio albums though..

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
I dig him. Blues is blues....there's only so much you can stray away from familiar patterns before you're called something else. Dude's got some killer tones on pretty much everything I've ever heard. I dig that he appreciates the gear he has....I've got a few facebook friends that have collections that are comparable and these dudes are more interested in their next business venture while that gear sits in storage.

I can't say anything bad about the dude, he's spent his entire life on a stage....he's developed his thing and he's made it work for him. Pretty sure THAT'S the American dream, right there.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I like Joe, I have seen him live 4 times (BCC, acoustic gig, 2 normal gigs), everytime he kicked ass - though the acoustic gig was something from another dimension.
My wish would be for him to grab the baritone again and release something heavy again like Ballad Of John Henry. But I can understand why he focuses more on songs that pay the bills - all the best for him, he deserved it, hardest working man in music.

And seriously, watch that Live in Vienna Acoustic Bluray - besides a shitton of kickass versions of his best songs, you can spot my bald head for a half of a second. that's worth something....

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
He just posted a free Christmas album on his Facebook page :yesway:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts