Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Announcing my new album "What Happens Next" featuring Chad Smith and Glenn Hughes along with an all new G3 tour with John Petrucci and Phil Collen! Listen to an extended clip of the new song "Energy", pre-order the album and VIP tour packages all at: JOE SATRIANI - WHAT HAPPENS NEXT + G3 TOUR 2018
Joe Satriani Announces New Album, 'What Happens Next,' 2018 G3 Tour With John Petrucci, Phil Collen | Guitar World

Satch just dropped news on a new album and a G3 tour. This would be interesting. From the sample of Energy, it's got a power trio vibe a la Crystal Planet, which is cool and promising. The rhythm section members are also an interesting choice too. Though Chad Smith is certainly no Vinnie Colaiuta/Marco Minnemann, still colour me curious.

I'm also curious to hear Phil Collen in a solo environment.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
To be honest I was expecting a G3 tour with Nick Johnston, he is putting guitar back in the map at least thats how i see it.

Nothing against Phill but I cant stand the band he plays in and cant even recall anything he played except that dreadful Pour some Sugar song and that is like 30 years old and is there even a guitar in there?

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
There was a short clip of a Collen solo tune that was apparently a tribute to Satch at the start of his recent NGIS podcast. It did sound rather Satch-alike. I used to worship Satch, but went off him a bit, not helped by the swarming hordes of clones, good and bad. Collen has his own thing, really. Hopefully that will come out. So he probably needs to sing on his solo stuff, really, as that's a big part of him. :2cents:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Does Hughes do any singing? I still spin those two discs he did with Iommi :yesway:

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Hahaha. I was just about to post all of this.

Anyway, looking forward to this new album. Didn't realize they were on the entire album and I sure hope Glenn sings on it. I can't imagine why he wouldn't?

Looking forward to this G3 tour, however, if it would have featured Vai instead of Collen. I would have lost my mind. I guess Satch didn't want to implode the world again with another Tokyo-like show.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
How has no one mentioned the fact Joe is playing a chrome guitar with a single coil in the neck, aka definitely not a JS2 or JS10th?

I saw the Facebook announcement on this, and thought this was just an announcement on what Joe was up to next. Didn't realize it was going to be a new album. Cool! I've actually liked his last few.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Do you think Joe would have chosen Phil if he didn't think he could hold his own on the tour? C'mon :lol:

I don't follow Satch but news of new tunes is usually a good thing :yesway:.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
The fact that he is playing a Chrome Boy makes me estatic.

I've liked certain songs on his new albums but from a solo standpoint I feel like he holds back too much on the album and therefore I get somewhat bored.

Live, however, is a different story.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've seen Joe during the Extremist tour and the most recent tour and both were great.

I'll probably try and get tickets for Feb show as I've never seen John or Phil live.

·
Tarantula Lobbyist
5,281 Posts
Vernon Reid would have been awesome on a tour like this, change it up a bit.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Ideally, what "happens next" for Joe would be for him to write an album that I would actually enjoy listening to.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
He is been playing HS for some time now, since he move to 24 fret guitars.
I'm WELL aware of that.

JS2 and JS10ths, however, were all H-H. This is a S-H chrome guitar. THAT is new.

No thoughts one way or another on Phil Collins, save that Petrucci was the (staggeringly well regarded) guitarist from Dream Theater when he joined the tour, and we ended up getting a (great, I think) solo album out of him for it, after he wrote a few songs for G3.

Ideally, what "happens next" for Joe would be for him to write an album that I would actually enjoy listening to.
The last two, especially the last, weren't extremely consistent, but were actually pretty good all in all, I thought. And I've been critical of most of what he's done after Engines of Creation.

Dominic - good catch, for some reason I thought the Satch Track looked like that with the weird bar design, but I was wrong.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
They go on sale Friday here. I'll probably grab a pair. Joe's still one of my biggest influences.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
There's rumors kicking around that that JS could be a 30th Anniv run. It'll be interesting to see if that happens, I know the originals were wood dipped in chrome and the chrome would break off as the body moved, then the JS10's were lucite (I think?)....I'd assume, if they were to make another chrome production model, would be to get the chrome to stick to wood. I was just reading yesterday that there's this new 3-step process that's been in the works to do that, so we'll see.

As for this tour....the last G3 show I caught was in 2001 with Vai, Satch and Petrucci. Vai threw a shit fit at the beginning of "Whispering A Prayer" because his sustainer wouldn't work. He picked the guitar up like he was taking it off, then when it was right about chest level he let it drop onto the stage and just walked off while Nordegg hauled ass to get it fixed. I'm 99% sure it was stage theatrics, it's not like he didn't have a back-up, but they let the keyboard just drone in the background while this uneasy tension came over the crowd. It definitely kicked things up a notch for when he came back onstage and the audience went nuts.

Anyway....Phil Collen.....I could think of many others I'd rather see on this tour, but I really dig the venue this will be at down here and Joe always puts on a great live show. If he brings out Marco, Beller and Keneally I'm DEFINITELY going just for his set alone. I'm a bigger Petrucci fan than I am of Satch but this will probably be a good drinking show for me. Sometimes I don't mind getting blitzed at a show and just enjoying the tunes, as long as it's not a BIG show I want to remember.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I kinda OD'ed on Satch's music eventually and stopped going to the shows, but I may check this one out. I've been on a more melodic/less shreddy trip lately, so I'm more interested in Satch than in Petrucci this time around.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts