Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following the recording of the Mark Five vs. MKIIC+ comparison video, John Petrucci went on to do a partial play through of the new Dream Theater song "The Enemy Inside" from their 2013 self-titled album. In this video, John uses the Mark Five head on Channel 3 in the Mark IIC+ mode through a Rectifier 2x12 cab. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Any plans to re-issue the MkV with the IIC+ on the 2nd channel? :wub:

Or, maybe an updated TriAxis would do the trick...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I tried a King Snake at a small shop in NYC, and it sounded fantastic. Gorgeous cleans and a great sort of old-school fat overdrive tone.

Not something I'd want to haul on the subway though! :lol:

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I tried a King Snake at a small shop in NYC, and it sounded fantastic. Gorgeous cleans and a great sort of old-school fat overdrive tone.

Not something I'd want to haul on the subway though! :lol:
The KS has to be lighter than a Road King 2x12!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
My only squabbles with it are largely mechanical. I REALLY like the way TC Electronic engineered the knobs on their RH750. It'd be awesome to have something similar on the TA :wub:

RH750 - Compact Head with Presets and Tuner | TC Electronic

And also, anything can be upgraded! Just think of the LED possibilities! :lol:
I will hand it to you, the one downside of the triaxis is the membrane buttons. HOWEVER, they are incredibly easy to replace as I've had to do it once before. Far easier than digital pots. Plus I do a lot of programming for my Triaxis with editor software so it's not a biggun for me.

Although I am searching for an ENGL E580 pre (not the 570) and it has a layout like you're talking about. They are a tasty tasty preamp, but as rare as a bloody mary in saudi arabia.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Yep. Also, imagine what those Mesa cats could cram in there if the TA were a 2U...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yep. Also, imagine what those Mesa cats could cram in there if the TA were a 2U...
Well we can hope into one hand and shit into the other and see which one fills up first. I'm surprised Mesa even still do the triaxis considering the halcyon days of racks is long gone. It's the reason I'm now retiring my MP-1 as parts are almost impossible to come by for them. I love my rack for its versatility but most would think me a madman.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Fuckin' aye. One popped up in Switzerland recently for the bargain price of $1800 but I don't have the liquid funds to get it and it's the first one that's come on the market in 9 months. :facemelt:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder why JP is demoing the IIC+ so much lately. On the V it does not have as much bass, there is a story in the manual where they dropped a cap to get the tone brighter. I'd like to see a mod to bring that back, or a pull deep switch :p

Most of us with a V would like the IV or Extreme mode better.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I wonder why JP is demoing the IIC+ so much lately. On the V it does not have as much bass, there is a story in the manual where they dropped a cap to get the tone brighter. I'd like to see a mod to bring that back, or a pull deep switch :p

Most of us with a V would like the IV or Extreme mode better.
Presumably because the IIC+ is a more-or-less mythic version of the Mark head thanks to Metallica, that JP has also been known to be a huge fan of and use frequently in the studio. And, because Mesa spent a lot of time working on getting that circuit into the Mark V - he's the best guy on their artist roster to show it off, you know?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts