Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Join bank accounts?

613 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  giannifive 
#1 ·
So the lady and I want to open a joint account so we can stop writing each other checks and trying to figure out who paid for dinner last time. I've got Chase, she's got Citi, but we're open to using someone else. Any recommendations as far as banks that are convenient or offer any particularly attractive perks?

We've been looking at Charles Schwab. No physical locations, but they reimburse you for most ATM fees and their terms seem generally agreeable. Anyone have any experience with them?

Also, we want to maintain our individual accounts for the time being, and are talking about different ways to do that. Seems like the easiest way is for us to both put our paychecks into the joint and then funnel some amount back out to our individual accounts for things like student loans that we don't need/want to combine yet. Apparently Schwab doesn't charge anything to transfer money to/from other banks, but I'm not sure about Chase/Citi. Worse case scenario we can always write ourselves checks I guess. Any suggestions?

I'm asking a bunch of general questions but I guess I'm just curious to know what your experiences have been like and if you guys have any pointers.

#4 ·
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind)

Matt C said:
We have two joint accounts, one that is "hers" and one that is "mine". They're both at the same bank. This way we can transfer money as needed, write checks from each others' accounts in a pinch, and we maintain separate finances.
That was always what made the most sense to me (bar completely separate savings on the side).

I am a big advocate of credit unions, but my buddy at work has a schuab account and loves it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.