Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the good ole GC recently got in a black and gold Les Paul Custom, double binding, heavy as a corpse, awesome awesome awesome les paul. around 3.5k :spock:
Well, I had to plug it in and give it a whirl.

Ouch. :yesway:

Fucking incredible, the neck was gorgeous, fretwork perfect as could be (yes, this is a new Gibson too) pickups were nice and tight sounding, but warm, and it sounded great through 6505, EVH, and JCM 800 and I am still dying to hear one through my rig. Rhythm sounded nice and chunky and the leads stood out well to, I had no problem doing lead work i usually play on my Rico with this Gibson. I was surprised i didn't fuck up after being used to the Vixen for so long :rofl:

Well I now understand why Les Paul Customs have been the holy grails of guitars for 50+ years, after i'm content with all the Rico's and BCR's I want, I'm deff taking a loan out for one of these. I'll feel dumb, but honestly, this specific axe blew my fucking mind! It'll be a studio tool and never leave my room though lol Infernus of Gorgoroth has one that's beat to hell from touring and gives me shivers, I couldn't do that :rofl: waaay to gorgeous

So, does anyone on here have a LP custom? please post pictures, reviews, clips, whatever. Or if you think I'm going insane go ahead and remind me.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I had a buddy that dropped about 3k for a Les Paul Custom, and all I can say is:

When he brought it over, it had by far the worst set-up I've ever seen on a guitar. About two hours later, it was one of the best sounding and best playing guitars I've ever laid my hands on.

A few of my main guitars for years were Les Pauls and PRS Custom 22's, so I naturally have an affinity for these guitars. All I can say is that if you find the "right" one, keep it. Forever.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
That DG strat haunts my dreams.

LP Customs definitely sound incredible, but are well out of my price range.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Lee,

Bring the zebra-pickup'd, trapezoid-inlay'd LP with you to Jemfest, or I won't let you in.

Yours,
-Leon

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I don't know why I have to keep telling people this, but fuck Gibson. Don't even waste your time, go buy this instead:

It's made in the old Gibson factory, with the old Gibson tools, on the old Gibson machines, by the old Gibson employees. It is cheaper. It is better constructed in every single way. The workmanship is higher. Just go buy a Heritage instead and be ridiculously happy. Chris (jacksonplayer) has one that looks exactly like that, and I play the fuck out of it whenever we hang out.

·
18,790 Posts
Good advice from Noodles, based on the sketchy quality consistency in current Gibsons. However if you find a guitar you love to play, and it makes you want to play, and you don't mind paying what it costs, go ahead and buy it :yesway: There's no guarantee you'll get the same vibe from any other guitar. You can always play a few first to make sure, but if you can't get over that one specific guitar, whatever it is, don't let it get away.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lee, your amazing

Noodles, thanks so much, see alot of people hating on heritage's headstocks but they seem okay to me, are they heavy as sin too?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
The web is full of headstock hate. Who really cares what it looks like if it plays and sounds great?

Yep, Heritages are heavy as sin, since they're not weight relieved.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
i Have a couple of old vintage customs that are pretty awesome. gibson still makes good guitars here and there but that's only because they make so many that of course there is gonna be a gem here and there. I love my pair of 76's though!

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Wirelessly posted (HTC_Dream Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-ca; Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

It sounds like you found a gem in the LPC, try to get that one. I'm borrowing a friends right now, its not too bad. With a good setup it would slay though.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Gibson still makes nice guitars, its just their pricing that is way out of line. While there are tons of people that love Gibson just because its Gibson, there are also a lot of people that hate them just because they're Gibson. That being said I'd go for a Heritage.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The web is full of headstock hate. Who really cares what it looks like if it plays and sounds great?

Yep, Heritages are heavy as sin, since they're not weight relieved.
the web is full of hate, there's not many headstocks that'll ruin a guitar for me, there's some, but the Heritage is totally fine.

Excellent, heavy as sin a + cuz that's what makes it fucking bad ass

·
is on drug whatever
6,523 Posts
I'd love to try one of those Heritage LPs as I've heard fantastic things about them and well as pointed out earlier in the thread I don't think Gibson's level of QC matches their pricing.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I've heard wayyy too many nitpicks from the Gibson fanbois about why Heritages are considered "inferior". Most of which are just downright laughable.

It's probably for the best that they keep thinking that way. It's keeping the street prices of Heritages down to a mostly reasonable level.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts