Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I brought this up in facebook group for metalheads.

"METAL SHOULD NOT BE MAINSTREAM"

One thing doesn't have to hinder the other. :lol:

Imagine how many today iconic metal musicians spawned out of listneing to some, to most of us, banal KISS music.
But it inspired the kid to pick up a guitar and then eventually did something great out of it.
Doesnt even have to be a musician; many "diehard metal fans" may have started out by hearing a KISS song first and then getting deeper into it.

I am just glad to see some mainstream exposure of a legit singer like Jorn!

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I'm too old to give a shit about what's mainstream. Anyone that can pay the mortgage doing what they love is doing the right thing*. :yesway:

*Unless doing what they love is playing in five fingers death punch.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
This video isn't doing Jorn too many favors though. At first I thought he was some elderly dude, and that his goatee was his cheek jowls. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
Metal was highly mainstream for many years. That's a silly argument.

Jorn is a fantastic classic metal singer. The first two Masterplan albums are favorites of mine. Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler were supposedly considering continuing on with Jorn in a new project after Dio passed away. That would have been pretty damned cool.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
This video isn't doing Jorn too many favors though. At first I thought he was some elderly dude, and that his goatee was his cheek jowls. :lol:
Him moving stiff as hell and the Elvis getup isn't doing him any favors either.

But yeah the dude's voice is monstrous.

Jorn is a fantastic classic metal singer. The first two Masterplan albums are favorites of mine. Tony Iommi and Geezer Butler were supposedly considering continuing on with Jorn in a new project after Dio passed away. That would have been pretty damned cool.

I'm not sure if Tony's got the strength to do much these days, given his health, but yeah a Sabbath/Jorn project would have been amazing.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
He's not in Eurovision yet though, there's a national semi-final and final first. The semi-final is tonight, so I'll be watching and voting for him. :yesway:

Most people in Norway only know him from this:

It was the Norwegian national football team's official song for the 1994 WC. They made a glorious music video as well, but I can't find it anywhere.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
I'm not sure if Tony's got the strength to do much these days, given his health, but yeah a Sabbath/Jorn project would have been amazing.
Oh yeah, that was a decade ago. Tony's basically retired, now. He still mentions studio stuff now and then on his FB accounts, but there's been absolutely no output since the last Sabbath tour. For a guy that was always working on something, that's telling.

And why the heck shouldn't he retire or wind it down if he wants? He's got nothing left to prove to anyone, as much as I'd love to hear some more music from him.

The first I heard of Jorn was back when he was working with Micky Moody and Bernie Marsden in a Whitesnake cover project. For a while, he was kind of on the radar of all the classic metal stars who needed a first-rate singer, but that seemed to fade for whatever reason. He might be the kind of guy who needs to lead a project rather than just being a singer for hire.

·
Thread Killer
2,196 Posts

I saw Jorn and Glenn Hughes fronting a one-off Heaven and Hell show when Dio passed, it was glorious.

·
Super Moderator
8,924 Posts
I saw Jorn and Glenn Hughes fronting a one-off Heaven and Hell show when Dio passed, it was glorious.
I wish I'd been there for that. I believe that was there period when Tony and Geezer were considering doing something with Jorn. He would have been the perfect singer to carry on that style of Sabbath music.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check out his band Ark and their album Burn the Sun. It came out early 2000's and is melodic hard rock/metal with a bit of prog. Kind of like 90's Fates Warning or Queensryche.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Oh yeah, that was a decade ago. Tony's basically retired, now. He still mentions studio stuff now and then on his FB accounts, but there's been absolutely no output since the last Sabbath tour. For a guy that was always working on something, that's telling.

And why the heck shouldn't he retire or wind it down if he wants? He's got nothing left to prove to anyone, as much as I'd love to hear some more music from him.

The first I heard of Jorn was back when he was working with Micky Moody and Bernie Marsden in a Whitesnake cover project. For a while, he was kind of on the radar of all the classic metal stars who needed a first-rate singer, but that seemed to fade for whatever reason. He might be the kind of guy who needs to lead a project rather than just being a singer for hire.
Yeah I remember Jorn being floated around after Dio died, but obviously everyone wanting that big Sabbath paycheck put a big quash on that. :lol: I mean I was hoping that a new Jorn/Iommi/Geezer/Appice to still eventually happen, but yeah, doesn't seem like Iommi can do much these days except helping with the release of reissues/remasters/remixes.

I do agree he definitely needs to stay retired. I just already miss his music. :lol: Plus hearing his music with Jorn's vocals would have been amazing. Jorn's Dio-era Sabbath covers are some of the best, if not, THE best.

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Jorn is wicked, he's done a load of albums with some tunes that will blow your mind. Such a great vocalist, he should really be way more well known than he is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts