Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
I only have Palladia, not this Palladian channel you speak of. Is it anything like it's similarly spelled word, Palladin?

Also - Journey suck.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Journey's awesome.

I know, because we play 3 of their songs in my cover band and the girls love it. I love to watch girls dance, therefore, Journey is awesome.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Also - Journey suck.
I thought the same thing, but at the suggestion of, I believe, Jacksonplayer, I checked out their first two albums which are really fusion-y proggy shit. Those were awesome. It was when Steve Perry joined that everything went to hell.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Schon/Journey kick ass, even in the cheesy pop rock stage.

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I grew up on Journey and love Neal Schon thus I deem this thread true. :flex:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
I thought the same thing, but at the suggestion of, I believe, Jacksonplayer, I checked out their first two albums which are really fusion-y proggy shit. Those were awesome. It was when Steve Perry joined that everything went to hell.
I cannot disagree. There are some solid rock songs after that point, but those first two albums are amazing. They're kind of like Def Leppard in a way--Def Leppard was a fucking killer rock band that went pop--except with way more chops.

Mike, when you and the wife saw Def Leppard and Journey a while back, didn't you say Journey just destroyed them?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wirelessly posted (Metal Shop \m/: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

MFB said:
I only have Palladia, not this Palladian channel you speak of. Is it anything like it's similarly spelled word, Palladin?

Also - Journey suck.
Tapatalk is correcting my typing, and you are talkin' crazy. :lol:

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Mike, when you and the wife saw Def Leppard and Journey a while back, didn't you say Journey just destroyed them?
Yeah, they did, and that was with Jeff Scott Soto having rehearsed with them for one day, because Agueri lost his voice. Total pros all around.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Journey rocks. Even the pop hits. So there :fawk:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
To me Neal Schon is one of the more underrated rock guitarists ever, probably because he has been trapped in that pop-rock milieu for so long. He's never really gotten a chance to show what he can do.

The first two Journey albums are fantastic, but since only a few hardcore fans bought them, it's understandable why they went pop after that. By the way, apparently Neal and the other guys hated Steve Perry from day one. Bringing him in was the manager's call.

Does anyone here have experience with Neal's '90s-'00s solo albums? He's one guy who you'd think could make a really good melodic rock instrumental album. I heard some of them are a bit New Age-ish, unfortunately.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To me Neal Schon is one of the more underrated rock guitarists ever, probably because he has been trapped in that pop-rock milieu for so long. He's never really gotten a chance to show what he can do.
He sort of did the 80's metal thing in Hardline.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Does anyone here have experience with Neal's '90s-'00s solo albums? He's one guy who you'd think could make a really good melodic rock instrumental album. I heard some of them are a bit New Age-ish, unfortunately.
I haven't, but Neil Zaza considers him one of his biggest influences, and "really good melodic rock instrumental album" is a pretty apt description of "Sing" and "Staring at the Sun." Definitely worth a listen if somehow he's under your radar.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
He sort of did the 80's metal thing in Hardline.
I'd forgotten about that. He also did the HSAS project with Sammy Hagar, which was definitely much heavier than Journey.

I haven't, but Neil Zaza considers him one of his biggest influences, and "really good melodic rock instrumental album" is a pretty apt description of "Sing" and "Staring at the Sun." Definitely worth a listen if somehow he's under your radar.
I've been hearing about Zaza for years but never listened to his stuff. I'll have to check him out. Thanks. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
I'd forgotten about that. He also did the HSAS project with Sammy Hagar, which was definitely much heavier than Journey.

I've been hearing about Zaza for years but never listened to his stuff. I'll have to check him out. Thanks. :yesway:
Oh man. "Staring at the Sun" is one of my three favorite instrumental guitar albums - Satch's "Crystal Planet," Vai's "Alien Love Secrets," and that. It's just spectacular.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Also - Journey suck.
Journey's awesome.

I know, because we play 3 of their songs in my cover band and the girls love it. I love to watch girls dance, therefore, Journey is awesome.
For reasons that Ken outlines, if you do not like Journey, you must not like women, and therefore must be ghey.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts