Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Being produced with Andy Sneap was a good idea = this sounds AWESOME.

Nostradamus and Redeemer Of Souls had really "weird" sound, I didn't like how it sounded at all. This sounds fucking great, the guitars, drums, vocals, everything.

The riff itself is kind of "expected", I dont know, I've heard many older bands use those particular chords a lot but its cool :)

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Someone said Richie was tearing it up on this new album. Not sure where the source is but that's what I've heard through a friend.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Apart from Painkiller I was never that of a fan of Priest, maybe me buying Turbo as the first record of theirs was a mistake for life but, I remember hearing Painkiller for years and still regret to this day not went to go see them on that Tour with Pantera opening. Sadly I only heard the record after they gigged in PT and Pantera was a pretty much unknown band at the time so I didnt went (stupid of me).

This "tease" really peaked my interest on their new record.

A thing I noticed long time is on how Halford seems to to keep maintaining his voice on Records. No one would say this is a 66 year old dude, he sounds the same like he did 30 years ago. Bruce on the other hand we could notice a slight decline in his voice after the Seventh Son and it keeps getting accentuated from Album to Album.

Maybe the super heavy touring took a tool on Bruce's voice more than it did on Halford, but dammmm.... Halford still has it all IMO.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Being produced with Andy Sneap was a good idea = this sounds AWESOME.

Nostradamus and Redeemer Of Souls had really "weird" sound, I didn't like how it sounded at all. This sounds fucking great, the guitars, drums, vocals, everything.
Nostradamus sounded extremely weak. Thin guitars, weak drums, low-mixed bass, really muffled vocals. Redeemer sounded like a near-deaf 67-year-old mixed the album. Everything sounded so bad.

This sounds like they actually put effort into the mixing. Really smart to go with Tom Allum AND Andy Sneap.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Someone said Richie was tearing it up on this new album. Not sure where the source is but that's what I've heard through a friend.
I really love how the band treats Richie compared to how bands like slayer treat Holt, or Arch Enemy treats Loomis. Those guys have amazing track records but are only trreated like hired hands. Richie barely has a track record and he was giving co-writing credits to the entirety of Redeemer of Souls and is treated as if he was in the band for decades. Worth it too because Richie fucking rips.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Nostradamus sounded extremely weak. Thin guitars, weak drums, low-mixed bass, really muffled vocals. Redeemer sounded like a near-deaf 67-year-old mixed the album. Everything sounded so bad.

This sounds like they actually put effort into the mixing. Really smart to go with Tom Allum AND Andy Sneap.
Spot on! Completely agree :)

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
I really love how the band treats Richie compared to how bands like slayer treat Holt, or Arch Enemy treats Loomis. Those guys have amazing track records but are only trreated like hired hands. Richie barely has a track record and he was giving co-writing credits to the entirety of Redeemer of Souls and is treated as if he was in the band for decades. Worth it too because Richie fucking rips.
While I agree, I just want to say I prefer that Holt doesn't write for Slayer. No point in wasting good riffs on a band that's been inconsistent for 20 years when he could put them towards Exodus, a band that's been consistently good since their reunion.

·
המרחב וה
2,061 Posts
Yes!!! Someone finally gets it!

I am so tired of modern bands bringing in great musicians into the band and not utilizing them. Like. What's the point if they are not full member?
Dream Theater, Nightwish, Arch Enemy and I'm sure I am missing a couple.

Jeez. Even Poison brought Richie Kotzen at 20 years old and let him write most of the stuff. As far as I am concerned, that was the best album they did.

So tired of bands doing thing. Especially for Mangini in DT.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yes!!! Someone finally gets it!

I am so tired of modern bands bringing in great musicians into the band and not utilizing them. Like. What's the point if they are not full member?
Dream Theater, Nightwish, Arch Enemy and I'm sure I am missing a couple.

Jeez. Even Poison brought Richie Kotzen at 20 years old and let him write most of the stuff. As far as I am concerned, that was the best album they did.

So tired of bands doing thing. Especially for Mangini in DT.
Im so sick of hearing comments like this because to me, the reason is quite simple. They wont let Garry Holt contribute in Slayer or Jeff Loomis in Arch Enemy is simple....MONEY. Writing credits= less money for the other members. People like those are are hired because they are experienced and are dependable on the road and to those members, its a simple paycheck. Especially in today's word where its extremely difficult to make money doing music.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts