Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm getting a new PC and a friend of mine put this together.
Does it look alright, or should I change something...? (I'm a newb at this)

Here's what to choose from:
Komplett.no

And here's the chosen specs:

Cabinet
CM Storm Sniper Black Edition Vifter: 1x 200mm Front, 1x 200mm Topp, 1x 200mm Side, 1x 120mm Bak, Blå LEDs

Powersupply
Corsair HX 750W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus Silver, Modular, 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 12x SATA, 140mm Vifte

Motherboard
MSI X58A-GD65, Socket-1366 ATX, X58, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, Firewire, Military Class

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor Socket-LGA1366, Quad Core, 3.2Ghz, 8MB, 130W, QPI: 4,8GT/sec, Boxed w/fan

Watercooling
CoolIT ECO A.L.C. CPU Kjøler Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3, 120mm Vifte, 300mm Rør

DDR3
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9 Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i7

Graphic card
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB AMP! ® PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-miniHDMI, 950MHz

Harddisc
Western Digital Caviar® Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 32MB, 7200RPM

Harddisc SSD
Corsair SSD Force Series™ F80A, 80GB SATA2, 2,5", 285MB/275MB/s read/write, incl 2,5" to 3,5" bracket

With these specs it ended up at 12.372 Norwegian kroner, which is approx. $2300.

That's without a display. If you have any recommendations on a 24" - 27" display, that would be great.

Also, what's the difference between 32 and 64bits Windows? All I know is that 64bit can take advantage of more ram, but my friend here told me you get a lot of stuff he doesn't know what is that runs in the background with the 64-version, and that it tend to run a bit slower.

He also says having more than 6gb ram i bullshit. Is this correct?
It's mainly a gaming computer, but I may use it for music/video-production too. Have to see how I like reaper compared to logic etc. first.

Hope the long thread didn't put you off. Any opinions are welcome :)

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
I'd get a 1155 (sandy bridge) board and cpu over the 1366, it's a slightly newer architecture and cheaper to boot. They only support dual channel ram though. If you really want a 1366 board you mightg as well get a 6-core cpu not the 4.

I run 64-bit Windows 7 on my Core 2 Quad 3GHz (8GB) and Dual Xeon 3GHz (24GB) and it works great, I would only get 32 bit if your computer does not support it (i.e. it is old). For a regular desktop system you don't really need more than 4GB of ram.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
So I'm getting a new PC and a friend of mine put this together.
Does it look alright, or should I change something...? (I'm a newb at this)

Here's what to choose from:
Komplett.no

And here's the chosen specs:

Cabinet
CM Storm Sniper Black Edition Vifter: 1x 200mm Front, 1x 200mm Topp, 1x 200mm Side, 1x 120mm Bak, Blå LEDs

Powersupply
Corsair HX 750W PSU ATX 12V V2.2, 80 Plus Silver, Modular, 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 12x SATA, 140mm Vifte

Motherboard
MSI X58A-GD65, Socket-1366 ATX, X58, DDR3, 3xPCIe(2.0)x16, SATA 6Gb/s, USB 3.0, Firewire, Military Class

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-960 Processor Socket-LGA1366, Quad Core, 3.2Ghz, 8MB, 130W, QPI: 4,8GT/sec, Boxed w/fan

Watercooling
CoolIT ECO A.L.C. CPU Kjøler Socket 775/1155/1156/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3, 120mm Vifte, 300mm Rør

DDR3
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz 6GB CL9 Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i7

Graphic card
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB AMP! ® PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-miniHDMI, 950MHz

Harddisc
Western Digital Caviar® Blue 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 32MB, 7200RPM

Harddisc SSD
Corsair SSD Force Series™ F80A, 80GB SATA2, 2,5", 285MB/275MB/s read/write, incl 2,5" to 3,5" bracket

With these specs it ended up at 12.372 Norwegian kroner, which is approx. $2300.

That's without a display. If you have any recommendations on a 24" - 27" display, that would be great.

Also, what's the difference between 32 and 64bits Windows? All I know is that 64bit can take advantage of more ram, but my friend here told me you get a lot of stuff he doesn't know what is that runs in the background with the 64-version, and that it tend to run a bit slower.

He also says having more than 6gb ram i bullshit. Is this correct?
It's mainly a gaming computer, but I may use it for music/video-production too. Have to see how I like reaper compared to logic etc. first.

Hope the long thread didn't put you off. Any opinions are welcome :)
If your friend is saying you don't need more than 6GB of RAM, and yet you'll be doing video and music, you might want to find someone else to build your system, because it doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about.

If you get more than 4GB of RAM, you'll want 64-bit. 32-bit Windows doesn't see more than 4GB, no matter what. It's not OS X or Linux.

In this day of 24/96 samplers/soft synths, and 1080p video, you'll definitely make use of 6GB+ RAM. That, and it's cheap.

4,429 Posts
eh I have barely any memory on my computer (cheapest amount) but just use externals. It's actually significantly easier for me since i'm generally going back and forth between studio comps and my own. I particurally am a fan of Glyph hardrives (lot of good people in that company).

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your friend is saying you don't need more than 6GB of RAM, and yet you'll be doing video and music, you might want to find someone else to build your system, because it doesn't sound like he knows what he's talking about.

If you get more than 4GB of RAM, you'll want 64-bit. 32-bit Windows doesn't see more than 4GB, no matter what. It's not OS X or Linux.

In this day of 24/96 samplers/soft synths, and 1080p video, you'll definitely make use of 6GB+ RAM. That, and it's cheap.
I just ordered the specs I posted first. If 6gb ram isn't enough I'll just put in more. Read about it on tomshardware, and going over 6gb is a waste in most cases it seems.

Do You Really Need More Than 6 GB Of RAM? : Is

I have 4gb in my macbook and while it's not flawless I haven't had much problems editing videos there. I'm only making youtube-videos after all, not huge hollywood productions :p

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
1. That article is 2 years old
2. None of it reflects video or audio content creation.

Don't get me wrong, 6GB isn't shabby, it's just that 12GB isn't outrageous anymore. Are you planning on running VMWare/Parallels/Virtualbox? Another reason for more ram.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1. That article is 2 years old
2. None of it reflects video or audio content creation.

Don't get me wrong, 6GB isn't shabby, it's just that 12GB isn't outrageous anymore. Are you planning on running VMWare/Parallels/Virtualbox? Another reason for more ram.
But this one isn't. I think 6gb will be more than enough for my use. My macbook works great for video and music editing with only 4gb, and the most demanding games today takes up maaaaybe 2gb, so even 6gb may be overkill for my use.

Running virtual machines and servers is different though, but I have no plans of doing that.

But the good thing is, IF 6gb happens to be to little, it's a pretty easy upgrade.

Also, decided to go for this Dell UltraSharp U2410 24in Monitor. Can't wait to replace my way too old ibm thinkvision with that one! Having nice natural colors, not this greyish crap that I'm watching right now, haha.

Not to mention, connection the macbook having a nice 24" overview of logic and final cut :D ...or reaper and sony vegas :p

I was actually getting the 27" version, but I found a nice deal on the 24" version. That will probably feel huge enough coming from 15" and 17" anyway!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
But this one isn't. I think 6gb will be more than enough for my use. My macbook works great for video and music editing with only 4gb, and the most demanding games today takes up maaaaybe 2gb, so even 6gb may be overkill for my use.

Running virtual machines and servers is different though, but I have no plans of doing that.

But the good thing is, IF 6gb happens to be to little, it's a pretty easy upgrade.

Also, decided to go for this Dell UltraSharp U2410 24in Monitor. Can't wait to replace my way too old ibm thinkvision with that one! Having nice natural colors, not this greyish crap that I'm watching right now, haha.

Not to mention, connection the macbook having a nice 24" overview of logic and final cut :D ...or reaper and sony vegas :p

I was actually getting the 27" version, but I found a nice deal on the 24" version. That will probably feel huge enough coming from 15" and 17" anyway!
Again, no mention of audio or video, both of which suck up RAM these days. Are you doing 1080p video? Soft synths? It's this kind of thing I'm referring to.

I mean, buy what you want, but 12GB isn't exactly expensive anymore. It's like $40 more for double the RAM, and if you're doing HD video, it's worth it.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Logic and final cut works fine with 4gb. I don't have huge projects though, but I do edit HD-material.

I did send an email asking if it was possible to upgrade to 12gb though... just in case :p
But I think that whole process is automated so they have to cancel the whole order and then I have to order it again. Haha. If they can't change it I'll just go with 6gb and upgrade later if needed.

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
that's usually the better route anyway. they charge you more for upgrading through the "build wizard"

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hvorfor ba du ikke hele det frackings forumet der finne pc til deg?
da hadde du vel endt opp med 32 gb minne haha.
Hørte du og lærte du INGENTING av det jeg sa i går?
OM en artikkel på toms hardware er 2 år gammel så står det jo tydelig der hvordan ram fungerer.
finnes sikkert nyere artikler om det nå.
Jeg kjører Reaper. Bruker haugevis av plugins, har mange tracks....Ram bruk: litt over 1 gb (har ca. 3 gig ledig). har jeg bruk for mer? nei.
og hvilke idioter kjører video redigerings program OG lydporgram samtidig? Da ber man om bråk: Latency problemer, hakking pga. CPU overload. Ram problematikk? neppe.
Seriøst hvis du har lyst å kaste bort penger på luft værsågod :)
nå orker jeg ikke høre mer VÅS fra de idiotene på det forumet der som har 0 peil på alt om data virker det som.
Haha, han har fått nok.

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have to say his logic sounds more trustworthy though. He also sent me screenshots of reaper running with bunch of tracks and stuff, didn't use more than 1,5gb.
Also googled around on ram recommendations. Sony Vegas recommend 2gb ram, hehe.

I changed my mind again. 6gb is enough :lol:

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts

·
with a Shotgun
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just read this:
Windows 7 memory usage: What's the best way to measure? | ZDNet

In short, Windows 7 (unlike XP and earlier Windows versions) goes by the philosophy that empty RAM is wasted RAM and tries to keep it as full as possible, without impacting performance.
Hmmm...

This stuff is confusing as hell, haha. I think I'll just go 12gb, maybe it's a waste but whatever, it's not THAT much money.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
64-bit or GTFO.

Also, I'd look into an ASUS mobo. Higher quality than MSI in my opinion.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
64-bit or GTFO.

Also, I'd look into an ASUS mobo. Higher quality than MSI in my opinion.
Agree. Also, when video guys were clamoring for more than 4GB support for FCP, I kinda doubt that 12GB is overkill, for $40 extra bucks. 1080P is killer to work with, even if the end result is just a YT video.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts