Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Honorary MG Djent Ambassador
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And no im not buying a 5150 :lol:

I used Cab Pack 13 SM57-MD421 02 IR for both clips. I just redid both patches last night after I realized they both sounded bad. Let me know how they sound and what I can do to make them better. FYI this is right out of the axe fx with no post EQ. I also have never touched my global EQ. Used my JPX-7 with a liquifire in the neck and D act in the bridge.

EDIT: Already know it is too thin and that I need to add more lows and mids. Working on that. Also the added some low end to the lead tone and it sounds better.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
before you determine your tone is too thin, try laying down a bass track under it.

I think it sounds pretty good though.

·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
before you determine your tone is too thin, try laying down a bass track under it.

I think it sounds pretty good though.
Thanks. I added a little bit of lowend. Basically just a little thump. That and put some more mids. I dont like a lot of low end because I want to stay out of the bases way. Adding lowend to the lead tone helped.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
i can hear how hard you're not hitting the strings. if you dug in, the low end would be there instead of all the scratch you hear over everything.
:agreed: Put some more hammer in your playing. JP learned a ton of Metallica tunes when he was starting out and as a result doesnt pick like a bitch. Learn a bunch of Metallica rhythm parts that are all down picked, come back and you will have way better attack :metal:

·
Obsessed by day glo Green
2,827 Posts
Is a bit scratchy, so I'd concentrate on dialling/playing that out. Probably less presence and maybe smooth out the highs, have a look at them mids, as it has a top endy ice picky sound to it and lacks a midrange grunt to fill it out to make it chunkier.

Also, double tracking makes things sound nice as well, so look into that, although that is a bit of a different ball game as the sound on it's own isn't amazing, but once doubled it is.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Echoing what everyone else is saying. You're playing metal man. Your picking hand should be a viking warhammer. :hungus:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Echoing what everyone else is saying. You're playing metal man. Your picking hand should be a viking warhammer. :hungus:
:agreed: When you pick, you should see your enemies flee before you and hear the lamentations of their women. Spending some time on getting a tighter, crisper, more percussive tone out of the guitar itself will make dialing in an amp sound a lot easier.

EDIT - yeah, listening to that, I wouldn't worry about your gear. Spend some time on getting the playing really in the pocket, firming up your attack, and getting your mutes both "cleaner" (there's a lot of weird resonances and notes ringing out here) and with a little more "chunk" to them - maybe move your palm a smidge back towards the bridge, and experiment a bit on trying to mute a little less than you are currently. That kind of stuff will make your tone sound a lot better through any gear and any settings, and ultimately will make you a better sounding player than any particular twist of the dial.

·
Forum MVP
4,767 Posts
Again, what everyone else is saying....get that right hand going. You have some spectacular equipment so you are only going to "dial" so much more into it besides what you will get if you play more aggressively.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Agreed with all others in the thread.

But nobody has mentioned a cool detail in the lead clip: you have some pretty good vibrato!!!

You may have to work a bit on picking/shredding precision, but the vibrato I heard was very fluid and "in tune".
I know players who have been going on for over 10 years without really developing a good vibrato so you got something going there.

Now, I don't know how much you have practiced vibrato.

Vibrato and bending in tune first, shreding peoples asses off later.

(I myself am trying to learn vibrato "downwards" towards thin E string... Haha. I can without being to self-indulgent say that I have master-level vibrato the other way upwards on most strings, but I have realized my vibrato on the thick E string fuckign suck, so I have to learn it the other way around, and I insist you do the same, learn it both up and down!)

·
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response guys. I knew you guys would have some good stuff to say.

When I was playing I was hitting the strings to hard they were going out of tune, so I did do that on purpose, put im still working on getting that nailed down. I used to play hard until someone told me something about it, so I stopped. I did add some more mids and a little lowend which already makes things better.

Trying to palm mute less is something else I will work on. For some reason I always have strange noises going on when I palm mute.

@rocka Rollas Thanks! No one has ever said anything about my vibrato.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I know this sounds dumb but where are you palm muting and is your hand open or closed?

My right hand is anchored to the to and to basically the point where the string breaks over the saddle.

See these examples:

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
And if you aren't using one, try a thick, pointy pick. And did I mention tuning and intonation? Because it's out of tune. Out of tune-ness creates harsh overtones in the distortion.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
My hand is actually a little rather up than that, meaning that my pick is in the middle of both pickups. I will move my hand farther back and see how that works.
Check out the end all be all of metal rhythm guitar:

the pick is between the pickups, but he still has the heel of his hand pretty much over the bridge break point on the bottom 3 strings.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
^ There's also not a ton of gain in that tone :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Do tons of physical shit and get in shape to have crushing pick attack.

I run around with 5 pound weights in each hand, but if you aren't into that you can arm wrestle gorillas or something.

You should be seeing your forearms muscles and tendons moving around. You can see it on pretty much every good thrash guy on closeups, unless they have a degree of body fat that obscures.

Unless you are playing bitch metal, unlearn the phrase "economy". A lot of your manly pick attack is going to be going to waste, there is no way mere guitar strings can take all that power.

Don't close up your hand. I know some people who can pull it off OK with a closed fist, but they are in the minority. Most manly rhythm players have an open hand style.

Listen to music that doesn't suck so you will subconsciously acclimate to manly picking techniques. No offense, but judging from your gear you probably listen to bitch djent. Listen to 80s Thrash. 80s thrash is the only form of music that is real.

For my money, Eric Peterson is the best sounding thrash rhythm player.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts