Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting an AxeFX for the last 10 years but haven't taken the right steps to buy one, nor much of any gear for that matter. I've made a LOT of changes in the last few months and am giving myself a gift of AxeIII. I was thinking about just going for a IIXL, but I know I'll eventually want a III anyway, so fuck it. I'm sure I'll be waiting a couple months before my ticket pops up, but that's fine, I still have a little saving left to do before I can actually order one.

So far I'm not too enthused with the footcontrollers, but I won't be playing live any time soon so it's really not an issue. I figure if I can still switch scenes and set up my GCPro to do 4 presets/8 Instant Acces, then I'll be good to go.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
You did well in choosing the new version, no matter how good the old one still is its was not what you wanted and you would regret it later on.

A day or two ago saw a post on FB about someone selling one already in Ebay for 3.5K (or the spot for it)...

There's also some videos starting to appear:

Also even if the new batch wont sound much diferent from the previous version im pretty sure when they start abusing on all the CPU power they have now the difference will substantially be there.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I use Kemper we have no choice but becoming sworn enemies from now on. Prepare to endure a storm of negative reputations! :flex:
:rofl:

Or I can just wait until you realize Assault Bacon is right and trade your Kemper in for an Axe-FX!

The logo on your Kemper is 0.5mm left of where it should be.
But it's not ONE WHOLE MILLIMETER!!!

You did well in choosing the new version, no matter how good the old one still is its was not what you wanted and you would regret it later on.

A day or two ago saw a post on FB about someone selling one already in Ebay for 3.5K (or the spot for it)...

Also even if the new batch wont sound much diferent from the previous version im pretty sure when they start abusing on all the CPU power they have now the difference will substantially be there.
I heard about the Ebay douche. Fractal actually has a few they're selling for the same price but allows you to skip the wait list, I'm assuming to combat the scalpers.

And that's what I was assuming about the III regarding it's power and the future. They might not have anything ready to go just yet that requires it, but they aren't exactly lazy with the updates and seeing what they can do to max those things out. I'm anxious to see how this all plays out.

Should have hopped on the wait list for a 5150.
Hahahaha, I don't even have to get on a list for one of those! I DO still want to get a nice little collection of heads, namely a block letter 5150, JCM800, Friedman JJ and a JP-2C. No real reason, as I'm not a huge tone-chaser, but it'd be nice to have a few things kicking around the studio.

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
People that price gouge on anything should get an itchy hemoroid and go fuck themselves.
I disagree a bit, it's just supply and demand. Fractal has done a good job marketing this and they have an incredibly solid brand image, so it's no wonder tons of people want one. They just can't crank them out fast enough to keep reseller prices down.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I'm sure you'll get some awesome sounds out of it :yesway:.

·
Look what I can do
498 Posts
Nice. I just went with an XL+, MFC & ev-1 for 1900 bucks...wanted a 3, but at 2500 without a controller it just wasn't in the cards for me. I was able to sell my ax8 & an engl poweramp and pretty much cover the cost completely.

That said...I can definitely see upgrade sometime in the next few years when my cashflow stabilizes, depending on what happens with the resale trend of the XL+ ...then again, this thing already does more than I need it to, so fuck it.

i'm jealous.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I disagree a bit, it's just supply and demand. Fractal has done a good job marketing this and they have an incredibly solid brand image, so it's no wonder tons of people want one. They just can't crank them out fast enough to keep reseller prices down.
I didn't wish upon them any fatal affliction. Just some ass-teroids:D

·
18,790 Posts
Except there wouldn't be a reseller market for them if people didn't buy them just to flip them for profit. Then only people who actually want one would get one, or be able to wait for one at a fair price.

It's like ticket scalpers. Fuck them for ruining the whole market and process. It's predatory.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Out of the III, FX8 and AX8, only the III is in stock then :lol:.

Have a peek at the prices from Japan on ebay...

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Early reviews already indicate that the amp modeling is at least a little improved over the II. The audio processing and many of the effects supposedly sound better.

I don't know that there's that much room for amp sim improvement (they're great already in the II). Having higher-res cab sims with longer modeling lengths would probably be the biggest potential improvement that the higher horsepower in the III would allow.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
My guess is that all the major Dev work went into the Hardware and making everything working like it was without sounding worse of course, then when all is done its time to start "rebuilding" or adding algorithms so they take advantage of the CPU power. Pretty sure they already have lots of it tailored and written, but the need to release the Unit to recover the money invested in Research and Development is mandatory.

Fractal has a trusty background of continuous updates on AXE and that alone makes me jump into one, even though its totally overkill for what I will ever manage to use it, but, still makes me want one. The AX8 would be super awesome to have already, but Im suspecting it will be updated in the next 6-8-12 months so im kinda waiting and also refraining from falling into temptation.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
My guess is that all the major Dev work went into the Hardware and making everything working like it was without sounding worse of course, then when all is done its time to start "rebuilding" or adding algorithms so they take advantage of the CPU power. Pretty sure they already have lots of it tailored and written, but the need to release the Unit to recover the money invested in Research and Development is mandatory.

Fractal has a trusty background of continuous updates on AXE and that alone makes me jump into one, even though its totally overkill for what I will ever manage to use it, but, still makes me want one. The AX8 would be super awesome to have already, but Im suspecting it will be updated in the next 6-8-12 months so im kinda waiting and also refraining from falling into temptation.
Yeah, I'm guessing with the new chips they're using in the III, it's only a matter of time until they're able to use something more advanced in the AX-8 too. Hopefully they add a headphone jack and USB audio too.

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There's a good chance I'm going to scoop up an AX8 this year as well, as I want to get a little combo set up that I can bring over the friend's houses or jams without hauling a rack/pedalboard/cabinet. I'm sure I'll be in AxeFX heaven for quite a few months after it arrives, so I'll be plenty occupied with that while developments are going on with the AX8. Really, if the AX8's were capable of doing two amp blocks at once, I probably wouldn't even bother with an AxeFX, but I really dig the sound of using two different amps for one sound.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts