Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I just dont get the slayer hate. After all the awesome stuff they did early in their career, i wouldnt expect them to have much left. Especially after over 20 years. God hates us all was their last great album IMO, and it was 10 years ago, but still. In this music, if your lucky enough to get paid like they do, i would keep comming out with albums even if they werent the most inspired

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Reign in Blood is one of the greatest metal albums ever. They've been going down hill ever since.
South of Heaven > Reign in Blood :D

RiB is very overrated IMO anyways. Of course its the first "extreme" metal album a lot of people get (it was certainly the first extreme metal album I got) but a lot of its noteworthiness comes from being really ahead of its time. However there are albums from the same year that are better/more extreme than RiB. Pleasure to Kill and Scream Bloody Gore are also from 86/87 and I think they are way better.

Then of course 88 is Bolt Thrower's "In Battle there is No Law", which is about 1000x as extreme as RiB.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yeah, there's plenty of stuff more extreme than RIB, but if you think it's just about being extreme, you're missing the point. Slayer manages to project sheer hatred for 28 minutes on RIB, something they never did again, and most "extreme" metal albums fail to get in the ball park for.

There are only a few metal albums that are instant classics because they so perfectly communicate the band's intent. RIB is one of those, unlike the other albums you mentioned.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
Who cares if they are cathloic or not. Or hell, even satanists? Who gives a shit? I havnt seen the vast majority of musicians that make the music i listen to.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Araya is a practicing Catholic, that's all I know. And Slayer is not really Satanic, but it's a common misconception. They certainly have Satanic lyrics, and they freely admit to that, but it's about "making fun of the absurdity of religion" rather than being genuinely Satanic.

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Slayer = freaking awesome riffs, but saddening solos. I wish they didn't have their solos, because they would be one of the most punishing riff based bands ever without them.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I don't care about how "extreme" the album is. Reign in Blood is perfect start to finish. Nothing else they've done has been that perfect. As cool as Bolt Thrower is, they've never approached the greatness of Reign in Blood.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Slayer = freaking awesome riffs, but saddening solos. I wish they didn't have their solos, because they would be one of the most punishing riff based bands ever without them.
Disagree. Slayer solos may not be technically amazing, but they fit the mood and style of the band perfectly. I'll grant that that style wouldn't really work for any other band, but it's part of what makes Slayer Slayer.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Yeah, there's plenty of stuff more extreme than RIB, but if you think it's just about being extreme, you're missing the point. Slayer manages to project sheer hatred for 28 minutes on RIB, something they never did again, and most "extreme" metal albums fail to get in the ball park for.

There are only a few metal albums that are instant classics because they so perfectly communicate the band's intent. RIB is one of those, unlike the other albums you mentioned.
Different strokes, but I don't agree at all. I think that all three I mentioned have better songwriting/lyrics/riffs/solos/etc. That being said I really like South of Heaven, better songwriting and less speed for the sake of speed.

In particular I think In Battle is much better at the "30 minutes of sheer speed/aggression/hate" title that everyone seems so intent on awarding to RiB.

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RIB, SOH, SITB are what I listen to the most

·
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹɐln&#38
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
saying, writing, thinking of SITB always makes me think of

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
Disagree. Slayer solos may not be technically amazing, but they fit the mood and style of the band perfectly. I'll grant that that style wouldn't really work for any other band, but it's part of what makes Slayer Slayer.
Well, agree to disagree. Perhaps if they could play the solos remotely similar to the recordings when they play live I might agree with you, but it is just usually spaz guitar with copious amounts of whammy that is poorly executed for 8 measures until a noticeable riff comes back in. :2cents:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts