Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took today and tomorrow off (even though I'm actually working right now on stuff :( ), and I took about 30 minutes to play my actual amp, the amp that's sat dormant for months on end.

I played my RG through it with the Evo in the bridge, which I quite like. Sounds good, typical RG through Mesa sound. Also played my Warmoth, which as usual stayed in tune until I breathed on it. :rofl:

But then I played my Strat through it for even longer. Everything about it sounded better. More clarity, especially in high gain sounds, and better in clean tones too. It's really odd to me to be preferring single coils, having been a 2 humbucker guy for so long.

Maybe it's just a phase. It has, however, given me an itch to want some sort of hybrid guitar, i.e. mahogany body, shorter scale neck, but with singles of some sort. Kinda like the Fireman, but not so fugly. :rofl:

Has anyone else gone through a phase of preferring something so completely different than what they're used to? I find it interesting. Maybe I'm just getting old.

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
Yeah I'm going through that stage myself, I got my hands on a fireman and ended up falling in love with the Dimarzio Injectors and ever since Andrew put up the video of his RG Strat with Injectors I have a huge GAS for one myself.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
My Legacy (SSS G&L Strat) is my #2 guitar these days after my Warhead.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
I quite often pick the Strat up and play it for hours. Love the single coil sound, the neck pickup for distorted leads is far superior to a neck humbucker in my humble opinion.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Maybe it's just a phase. It has, however, given me an itch to want some sort of hybrid guitar, i.e. mahogany body, shorter scale neck, but with singles of some sort. Kinda like the Fireman, but not so fugly. :rofl:
Frank Marino's main guitar for almost 40 years has been an old SG Junior that he modified to have three single coils. It's an awesome sound.

Gibson has occasionally made SGs with single coils, and I'm not talking about P90s. Here's the infamous Scott Grove demoing his:

I disagree with him about the sounds. The ones I've played sound great in most of the switch positions, especially with some gain. It's not a strat replacement.

It is weird to have the neck pickup so far back, but that's necessary because of the weak neck joint on SGs. Routing his guitar for a proper neck pickup placement actually caused the neck joint on Marino's SG to crumble apart. He had to essentially epoxy the guitar back together, but it's held ever since.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, when I got old.
Oh shit.

Yeah I'm going through that stage myself, I got my hands on a fireman and ended up falling in love with the Dimarzio Injectors and ever since Andrew put up the video of his RG Strat with Injectors I have a huge GAS for one myself.
Yeah, that video is what got me wondering about the mahogany+Singles sound.

I quite often pick the Strat up and play it for hours. Love the single coil sound, the neck pickup for distorted leads is far superior to a neck humbucker in my humble opinion.
:agreed: a single does sound a lot better in the neck for this. A lot more clarity.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frank Marino's main guitar for almost 40 years has been an old SG Junior that he modified to have three single coils. It's an awesome sound.

Gibson has occasionally made SGs with single coils, and I'm not talking about P90s. Here's the infamous Scott Grove demoing his:

2007 Gibson SG III Guitar Review Scott Grove - YouTube

I disagree with him about the sounds. The ones I've played sound great in most of the switch positions, especially with some gain. It's not a strat replacement.

It is weird to have the neck pickup so far back, but that's necessary because of the weak neck joint on SGs. Routing his guitar for a proper neck pickup placement actually caused the neck joint on Marino's SG to crumble apart. He had to essentially epoxy the guitar back together, but it's held ever since.
It's funny how he contradicts himself. Before, he said wood doesn't really matter, now he's saying that the variances in wood between those two SG's results in one sounding thicker. Which is it? :lol:

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
mahogany body, shorter scale neck, but with singles of some sort.
My favourite combo, for anything other than straight up metal at least haha. I really wanna do a Warmoth mahogany Jazzmaster with P90s some day, but I hardly play 6 strings these days and don't need another one.

Answer: Les Paul with P90s :agreed:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My favourite combo, for anything other than straight up metal at least haha. I really wanna do a Warmoth mahogany Jazzmaster with P90s some day, but I hardly play 6 strings these days and don't need another one.

Answer: Les Paul with P90s :agreed:
I want a Warmoth with a Soloist mahogany body, an all-pau ferro neck, and three Dimarzio Injectors. That'd be sweet.

·
18,790 Posts
I've been in love with my Tele since I put it together. Basically just need to fix up/replace my Strat (with humbucker bridge) and that's the two main sounds I'll ever need. Layered together, especially, they sound incredible.

My current GAS is for a baritone Jazzmaster style guitar, but with 2 P-Rails.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Eh, they're different sounds, not better or worse. A neck humbucker is going to be smoother and rounder and fatter, while a singlecoil is a lot more explosive. I love them both for different things.

But yeah, everyone needs to own a guitar with a good set of singlecoils. :yesway:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I think I'd actually prefer a single coil in the neck position. I basically never use the neck pickup for distorted sounds, but the added bite of a single coil might make me use it. I also find that I always split the humbucker in the neck positions for cleans with my Horizon, and on the S540LTD I use the middle and neck position for cleans.

·
Big Brother
587 Posts
If I were to buy another 6-string, apart from some ultra fancy pants custom, I would grab another Tele. I love the twang and spank, especially from something loaded with CS Texas Special pups. I have toyed with the idea of popping a 7 string single coil into one of my existing guitars with humbucker routes, but haven't actually done it yet.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts