Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My good friend Dean will be away on business this weekend, so I have to fill in for him at one of his bands gigs. I've learned their set over the past two days and have been practicing my ass off. We recorded one of the songs after I had learned it. This is one of the easier ones... He's quite a riff writer, two of the songs are kicking my ass hard...

Also, his picking technique is so awkward, but he plays just fine. The music probably isn't to anyone's taste, but I'm happy to help a friend out and have a little fun in the process.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their band formed around 1998, could you tell? haha... My friend Dean joined them in 2007 and pretty much steered them away from Nu-metal into something a little more metal. They're all cool guys, but damn they even dress like it's 1998 sometimes :lol:

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Nice job learning that all so fast. I'm not going to lie, I know NO songs in their entirety offhand. I think Eaten by Bloodbath is the only one I sort of know. :lol:

BTW what guitar are you playing there? Looking fuckin hawt!

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Nice job learning that all so fast. I'm not going to lie, I know NO songs in their entirety offhand. I think Eaten by Bloodbath is the only one I sort of know. :lol:

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Yeah, i've been listening to their album non stop to get a feel for it, and i'm a pretty quick learning, even on the more confusing and hard-to-play sections.

The guitar is my Schecter A-1 Damien prototype. Basswood with a maple top, this thing sounds awesome. I love avengers, I've got an old 7-string Avenger too.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
Yeah, i've been listening to their album non stop to get a feel for it, and i'm a pretty quick learning, even on the more confusing and hard-to-play sections.

The guitar is my Schecter A-1 Damien prototype. Basswood with a maple top, this thing sounds awesome. I love avengers, I've got an old 7-string Avenger too.
:metal: I was wondering when they made those :lol: Proto, Lucky...I want a 6 string Avenger

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird wood combo, I don't think I've ever heard of that before :eek:
I think *most* of the flat-black Damien models at the time were like that. It would be sweet if this had a see-thru finish on the top to let the grain pop a little

:metal: I was wondering when they made those :lol: Proto, Lucky...I want a 6 string Avenger
Yep! Thank you DCGL! If it isn't obvious, the green knobs were added on later :D I want to try and find a paint color close to that and paint the pickups to match them, it's such a nice combo. The only gripe people seem to have about these guitars are the flying bat inlays (which newer Damiens don't have IIRC), but they're dark enough that I don't really care. I honestly don't mind them because I just love Avengers that much :lol: It's better than white dots.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Weird wood combo, I don't think I've ever heard of that before :eek:
Quite a few Suhrs use the basswood/maple top combo. Apparently it's John Suhr's favourite combination :shrug:

Cool playing in the video dude. It's tight, especially considering the short amount of time you've had to learn the songs! :metal:

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quite a few Suhrs use the basswood/maple top combo. Apparently it's John Suhr's favourite combination :shrug:

Cool playing in the video dude. It's tight, especially considering the short amount of time you've had to learn the songs! :metal:
Thanks! I was freaking out, since the gig is this Sunday and I only started learning the songs Tuesday night! I kinda surprised myself when I picked them up fast, but I'm usually quick to learn things if I CAN play them. I had to woodshed a few parts tonight to play them cleanly (He can out-legato me like crazy).

I'm hoping to get some pics from the show. I need a few newer on-stage pics :D

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
I think *most* of the flat-black Damien models at the time were like that. It would be sweet if this had a see-thru finish on the top to let the grain pop a little

Yep! Thank you DCGL! If it isn't obvious, the green knobs were added on later :D I want to try and find a paint color close to that and paint the pickups to match them, it's such a nice combo. The only gripe people seem to have about these guitars are the flying bat inlays (which newer Damiens don't have IIRC), but they're dark enough that I don't really care. I honestly don't mind them because I just love Avengers that much :lol: It's better than white dots.
The Elite series I believe don't have them but the Normal Damien series still does...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts