Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...except it's done by Joe Bonamassa, who totally fucking delivers. 2:02 for the impatient but you really need to watch the whole thing.

It's incredible how Eric Johnson-like his quick runs sound. :yum:

·
HAWKS & FUCK SEC!
1,672 Posts
The guy playing air guitar. :rofl: But can't blame him. I was doing the same thing.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean. Joe B always inspires me to do this really strange "air guitar" interpretive dancing kinda thing where I pour lighter fluid all over my guitars and set them ablaze, crying and dancing around the cindering pile of instruments I once used to not sound as good as him.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the way he balances his styles. Sometimes he's really straight, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Blues Saraceno style pentatonic work, then you get a couple of catchy Gary Hoey-esque riffs to groove to, then SLAP! fucking lightspeed "piano-like" Eric Johnson lines.

Very diverse. Very good.

·
I dislike Porcupine Tree.
189 Posts
Thoughts:

I bust out with Internet laughter at the guy with the camera at 0:39 or so.

I love the "deliberate noise" (at least, I'm assuming it was deliberate) in the riff just before 5:00. So fucking cool.

Is the keyboardist wearing gloves? I thought for a split second he was wearing vinyl food-service gloves every time they showed his hands.

Everyone in the audience in this video is either a blissful male idiot or a confused-looking woman. Except for the snuggling couple, they knew what was up.

OH MY GOD those piano runs were awesome.

·
Motherfucker.
3,459 Posts
:metal:

Awesome. This is my favourite ZZ Top song. Incredible stuff!

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bend "up" to the next modulation around 2:46 was so clean. :yum:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From a technique standpoint, I'm noticing how he down-picks EVERYTHING unless it's a faster arpeggio. Interesting.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
That song definitely rules, Mesh.

Since it's a Joe B thread, for anyone who hasn't seen it, his "Live at the Royal Albert Hall" DVD - you MUST

·
I dislike Porcupine Tree.
189 Posts
I remember hearing JB's version of John Henry before and not liking it, but this time around... DAMN. Not only is the slide awesome, but that riff is HUGE.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Joe Bonamassa rules, as does the Live at the Albert Hall DVD :yesway:
This guy is definitely one of my favourite players, his tone is :yum:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts