Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been hearing lots of praise for this pickup so I figured I'd give it a try.
I'm just not sure what to pair it with for the neck. The guitar already has a Jazz in the neck, but I also have a Zebra Seymour Duncan 59 I could use instead.
Any suggestions for what would pair better with the custom.

The guitar is tuned to D standard and sometimes drop C. I'm mostly playing metal on it, but I'll play hard rock with it as well.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
I prefer the 59, it's the neck pickup I have in all my guitars. Just remember to sink the bass side away from the strings as it can get a little tubby with high gain.

I like the Duncan Custom, it has a nice cut but can be a little shrill/brittle on the treble strings in the wrong guitar. Just something to watch out for. On a short scale instrument like yours though you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I think the Jazz would pair better with the Custom than a 59 would, particularly for low tunings. This might be an unusual suggestion, but the Distortion neck version also sounds great for low tunings and would probably match up well with the Custom.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
I prefer the Jazz in the neck but only in E standard, probably could get tubby in D or lower. 59 sounds like a good choice.

I'll agree with Matt on the Custom being shrill but again in the context of bridge in E standard. A little extra treble for lower tuning to boost the frequencies you're losing actually sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, 59 it is then. Hopefully it'll look ok, the one have is creame and black and the SH-5 I ordered is just black.
I'd try a distortion in the neck but I'm looking to use what I already have laying around.

I'm pretty excited to try out the Custom. There's a lot of love for it on the interwebs. It should work well in a EC400VF tuned to D standard. It's a pretty bassy sounding guitar. I'm hoping this pickup will balance that out a bit. It has a JB now and it's okay, it's just not as tight as I'd like it to be.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
I legit can't think of a better pickup for D standard. Mine is in C, but is equally as great. You can throw nearly any amp at it and it'll sound great. More of my gitfiddles would have one in them if I wasn't so fuckin' lazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts