Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:rofl:

I suspect theres alot of you here who are the same. A few years ago I had two of these

And I absolutely loved the pointy shape. Loved how they balanced when I played them, but I hated the wood combo, bolt on neck, and trem. Anyways after I sold them I never really looked at getting another pointy shaped guitar again. I keep meaning to pick up a Jackson Rhoads or Warrior, but theres always a soloist that I like better when an interesting used one pops up.

Anyways, I just realised this when I saw this picture

and thought, "Wow, I'd love to buy that!" for all of two seconds (would like it more if it was a six string and beveled though) and than realized I'd probably just prefer a nice soloist style guitar. Theres just something about the aesthetics/ergonomics (especially sitting) that just make it feel like a more legitimate guitar than a "pointy".

Am I just getting old or wise? Or do I just need an exceptional pointy to snap me out of this superstrat spell?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Meh, just a preference. Don't look too much into it.

Also, I love that shape ^ ^ ^ :lol:. They're very comfortable to me. But, I also like LP's, and the Schecter C1 sits nice as well.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
Personally, I've loved the look of that guitar since I first saw the 6 string version in the "Anti-cosmic Overload" video and would play the shit out of it, but that's not to say there's nothing wrong with a good (super)strat any day of the week

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meh, just a preference. Don't look too much into it.

Also, I love that shape ^ ^ ^ :lol:. They're very comfortable to me. But, I also like LP's, and the Schecter C1 sits nice as well.
I love that shape too. I just wish there was something comparable in quality to a USA jackson made in that shape (I don't like the warrior near as much).

The ESP star, just looks fucked up to me.

I don't think they got the proportions right (thickness of the bottom two horns, etc) compared to the Ibanez X destroyers. I had a dt-350 as well but I prefer the 250 because of the bevels (I wish more star shapes had this), and I find the non locking trem slightly less terrible than the atrocity of a trem on the 350.

Also, they are supremely comfortable, in some ways more comfortable than a strat shape, especially when sitting in the classical position.

I emailed KXK about if they could make a guitar in a similar shape and they never got back to me. Noodles, could you weigh in on this for me?

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Have you tried the Ibby Xiphos? They're X-y and mahogany. I've actually wanted to check one out for a while, but haven't seen any in the Toledo area.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Personally, I've loved the look of that guitar since I first saw the 6 string version in the "Anti-cosmic Overload" video and would play the shit out of it, but that's not to say there's nothing wrong with a good (super)strat any day of the week
If they beveled the body and changed the headstock to a jackson pointy and made it as a 6 string I'd probably be all over that.

Don't know how comfortable it would be sitting compared to a star shape.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you tried the Ibby Xiphos? They're X-y and mahogany. I've actually wanted to check one out for a while, but haven't seen any in the Toledo area.
Its always been in the back of my mind, but I haven't gotten a chance to try one extensively. If there was a prestige model I would give it more thought, but I can't reall stomache the thought of shelling out $800 for a non MIJ Ibanez. Is the quality pretty good on those?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a superstrat only person too.
I watched the original trilogy a couple weeks ago, and when they came to this line

"Your father's light saber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as a blaster; an elegant weapon for a more civilized age. For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times... before the Empire. "

I thought SUPERSTRAT! (...Elegant Weapon for a more civilized age...)

Before somebody else says it

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The Obscura guy's sig guitar is probably the ONLY point guitar shape i like, aside from the Ironbird, and Rhoads V.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Its always been in the back of my mind, but I haven't gotten a chance to try one extensively. If there was a prestige model I would give it more thought, but I can't reall stomache the thought of shelling out $800 for a non MIJ Ibanez. Is the quality pretty good on those?
The ones ive played were solid, but yeah, they're made in indonesia. For 800$. What gives, there?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Obscura guy's sig guitar is probably the ONLY point guitar shape i like, aside from the Ironbird, and Rhoads V.
A Rhoads V is probably the pointy I'm most interested in getting. Theres a 1989 one I have my eye on at the moment in fact.

I actually find the ironbird one of the most aesthetically displeasing shapes out there. But part of that is the subconcious association with Rick Rozz's pedostache.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I love RR's. :wub:

My big thing is comfort when sitting down. I practice sitting down, I record sitting down... I sold my King V off a while back because I couldn't stand playing it "classical style" as the ergonomics didn't really support that method. RR's are better for that, they nestle on top of your leg. But anyway, that's why I've come to prefer Strat and Les Paul shapes - they just lock onto your thigh and you can play away.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I have to put my strat style guitars on my left leg so that I can play them classical style. My Vs and star are so much more comfortable.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I actually think that a voyager would be the most supremerly comfortable shape. Although I've never actually tried one.

If you play in classical position you have your left leg in the standard strat position and your right leg between the two ends, more like a v. I think it would be really cool to try, but there isn't an abundance of voyagers out there.

Part of me thinks that $200 lower end jackson professional dinky/fusion + scroll saw would be a quick fun project :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I'm a chestrocker, so pointies are completely useless for me. The rear horns/wings/whatever always force my right arm out to an uncomfortable position. The only pointies I've ever found not to be problem that way are the Carvin Ultra V and V-220, since their upper rear horn is short and doesn't get in the way. Too bad they sound like Carvins... :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a chestrocker, so pointies are completely useless for me. The rear horns/wings/whatever always force my right arm out to an uncomfortable position. The only pointies I've ever found not to be problem that way are the Carvin Ultra V and V-220, since their upper rear horn is short and doesn't get in the way. Too bad they sound like Carvins... :lol:
Too bad those carvin models are some of the ugliest things ever :rofl:

Might I also ask a quick opinion on this, Jackson Sensei :lol:

FS 1989 USA Jackson Rhoads - Harmony Central Forums

I'm trying to talk myself out of it, but I think I'll drop him a PM offering $1150-1200 shipped, is that fair for that model in the condition it looks to be in?

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
^ well, it's definately in great shape.. :metal:

My first guitar was an Ibanez Destroyer (black DT 250). I really loved it & still have it though I hardly play it anymore (slightly warped neck, faulty switch etc...). Since then I've only bought/played superstrats. I guess they're really comfortable, play damn well & look nice.. plus they're ergonomically optimized for speed/playability.

I often think I need to get myself something really insane looking again though, just for a change.. :lol:

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
I actually think that a voyager would be the most supremerly comfortable shape. Although I've never actually tried one.

If you play in classical position you have your left leg in the standard strat position and your right leg between the two ends, more like a v. I think it would be really cool to try, but there isn't an abundance of voyagers out there.

Part of me thinks that $200 lower end jackson professional dinky/fusion + scroll saw would be a quick fun project :lol:
Looks like if you sit classical style on those your right leg might be putting pressure right on the floyd. :scream:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts