Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, aug 6th 7th and 8th i was asked to record a buddy of mines band. They are disbanding because their bass player is moving away and want to get a recording down. I'm still new to recording but every time i have a session my mixes and such turn out better than before. Here is the catch. It's going to be the drums, 2 guitars and a bass live off the floor.

I never record like this. I don't have an area ready to get separation for each instrument. We're going to be rent a space to use but i'm worried about the drums rattling and the overheads picking up the bass and guitars and crap. sucks. Anyone have some good ideas on how to make this sound as good as possible? I'm doing this for next to nothing because i really like the band and I want their music on cd to listen to.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Maybe have the guitars and bass play with headphones on, and run their instruments direct through a re-amping box? It won't give them their ideal tone while recording, but if you can re-amp the guitars later, you'll get a better result.

The other option is to put the amps in a separate room from the drums. That's the only other way i can think of to stop the guitars and bass from bleeding all over the drums. (and vice versa)

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe have the guitars and bass play with headphones on, and run their instruments direct through a re-amping box? It won't give them their ideal tone while recording, but if you can re-amp the guitars later, you'll get a better result.

The other option is to put the amps in a separate room from the drums. That's the only other way i can think of to stop the guitars and bass from bleeding all over the drums. (and vice versa)
we probably wont have a different room from the drums :/

however, my initial thoughts were to run the bass through my axefx and run the guitars on their own facing away from the drumkit but running the guitars DI'd is a great idea. I'll run it by those guys. I don't actually know how to set up sends using my daw/board right now, so i'll have to get that figured out before i do this.

·
18,790 Posts
Yeah, your options are basically to either put the amps in separate rooms or run them DI during tracking and have everyone monitor through headphones, or to find a way to make the bleed "work" to support the live energy of the sound rather than muddy things up, which comes down to finding ways to minimize the bleed where possible, but keeping things phase aligned and decent sounding where there is bleed. Bass and guitars bleeding into overheads isn't really that big of a deal, since you'll be filtering out so much of the lows and mids from them anyways. What you may find, though, is that gating on the rest of the kit may end up being impossible, as every hit will also include bleed from the guitars and drums, resulting in the mix sounding very choppy and strange.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
we probably wont have a different room from the drums :/

however, my initial thoughts were to run the bass through my axefx and run the guitars on their own facing away from the drumkit but running the guitars DI'd is a great idea. I'll run it by those guys. I don't actually know how to set up sends using my daw/board right now, so i'll have to get that figured out before i do this.
Why not run the guitars through the Axe-FX and the bass through another DI? If you still run guitar amps, you'll have to run them as quiet as possible.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not run the guitars through the Axe-FX and the bass through another DI? If you still run guitar amps, you'll have to run them as quiet as possible.
yeah, one guitar through the axe, bass full on DI, and if we're really luck a small closet for a guitar amp maybe? it's hard to know what to do since i don't know what kind of space we are working with. I just really don't want the snare to rattle the whole recording.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, your options are basically to either put the amps in separate rooms or run them DI during tracking and have everyone monitor through headphones, or to find a way to make the bleed "work" to support the live energy of the sound rather than muddy things up, which comes down to finding ways to minimize the bleed where possible, but keeping things phase aligned and decent sounding where there is bleed. Bass and guitars bleeding into overheads isn't really that big of a deal, since you'll be filtering out so much of the lows and mids from them anyways. What you may find, though, is that gating on the rest of the kit may end up being impossible, as every hit will also include bleed from the guitars and drums, resulting in the mix sounding very choppy and strange.
the one good thing about this band is that not gating the drums is not going to be an issue as long as i can control the snare rattle. they are a slower heavy, epic big space kind of band. so having big open drums rather than tight metal sound drums will be better.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, you could actually run two guitars through the Axe, one plugged in front, and the other plugged in the rear (that's what she said) using parallel signal chains.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If i'm not mistaken, you could actually run two guitars through the Axe, one plugged in front, and the other plugged in the rear (that's what she said) using parallel signal chains.
really? i thought they summed into one signal. i'll have to read the manual and see if i can get a stereo signal from that and just pan it. That would make life so much easier.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
<-- reads manuals to gear he doesn't own yet

It looks like you can process inputs separately. And if you use mono delays (for example) and keep everything panned hard left and right, you should end up with two mono signals at the output stage, something like this:

In a pinch, you could also rig up the effects return as an alternate input.

<-- also likes to use gear in ways it was never designed to

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well snip snap. i think you are right. i'll have to change the input from front analogue to rear L + R i think but if so, this single unit could literally run two complete guitar players rigs with a decent power amp, each side having it's own 4x12. I already run two amps this way for myself but i never though about plugging in two guitars to use each one on it's own.

Fuck, i love this god damn 2 space rack unit.

also, darren, you are a genius.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
... or in this case, run it out to a headphone mixer and give each guitarist his own mix of himself, the other guitar and the bass while standing in the room with the drummer.

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
... or in this case, run it out to a headphone mixer and give each guitarist his own mix of himself, the other guitar and the bass while standing in the room with the drummer.
i'm going to record the guitars with the axe, then use them either as scratch tracks or a second performance depending on how well they play/sound. once the drums and bass and such are down i'm going to mic up some amps for another guitar performance.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
So, this is a live-in-the-studio, and not a live-on-stage recording?

·
18,790 Posts
And you can always re-amp the bass later, or add some amp sims or grit with a plugin. :yesway:

The whole 2 input thing is really appealing to me, as that's what I like about the POD X3 and the possibilities it presents for piezo operation (all of the switching/blending being done with patch changes/expression pedal, no fiddling with switches on the guitar) once I have an electric with piezo :lol:

·
Super Moderator
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mostly because it's our only good option right now. Since i'm not a pro, i don't have a studio set up. Their music is long and drawn out and would take a week or two to get a really proper multi track recording out of them. plus, since they are breaking up they just want to get it down so they can hear it. so since i like the band, i said i'd do it. as long as i can get the drum tracks and the bass track done form this, everything else can be punched in after. so thats what i'm shooting for.

PS they only have a window of 3 days to do the entire thing. which is why we are taking this route.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
mostly because it's our only good option right now. Since i'm not a pro, i don't have a studio set up. Their music is long and drawn out and would take a week or two to get a really proper multi track recording out of them. plus, since they are breaking up they just want to get it down so they can hear it. so since i like the band, i said i'd do it. as long as i can get the drum tracks and the bass track done form this, everything else can be punched in after. so thats what i'm shooting for.

PS they only have a window of 3 days to do the entire thing. which is why we are taking this route.
Why not go all the way, then? Have them invite over 50 or so of their friends, buy a keg, and play through their set as if it was a live show, with the band mic'd up but also a stereo 'audience' mic? Trying to do a 'studio' album under those constraints poses all sorts of issues that no one would think twice about on a 'live' recording, and heck, it could be a lot of fun, too.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Why not go all the way, then? Have them invite over 50 or so of their friends, buy a keg, and play through their set as if it was a live show, with the band mic'd up but also a stereo 'audience' mic? Trying to do a 'studio' album under those constraints poses all sorts of issues that no one would think twice about on a 'live' recording, and heck, it could be a lot of fun, too.
This!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts