Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Big Brother
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had attempted an ambitious (for me) wiring project installing Bare Knuckle Warpigs into my Carvin DC727 using a Freeway 6-way switch in place of the normal 3 way toggle, and Darren was great in helping me with getting the diagram correct.

The first problem I encountered was that the Carvin stock routes were not large enough for the covered BKPs. Almost, but definitely not quite. I have probably the smallest hand held dremel tool available, and I didn't want to risk just using a router bit because those fuckers can grab and catch in the wood and throw you all over hell (and by that I mean directly into parts of the guitar that should never meet a dremel). However, I had a small sandpaper bit that worked well for this project. I very carefully applied this to the top and bottom sides and corners of the routes, and after a good bit of time I eventually had widened the routes to look pretty nice around the BKPs. It's not laser straight but good enough for government work!

The second problem I encountered was electrical. Despite Darren's help, I must have done something wrong in that I kept getting God-awful amounts of buzzing/humming from the guitar. Unusable amounts. Terrible amounts. [To make matters worse for me, I had both my 7s undergoing pickup swaps at the same time.] I couldn't figure out what the problem was, so I took the easy way out so I could get this up an playable again ASAP. I re-installed the stock Carvin electronics with the BKPs, which due to the coil-tapping push-pull tone knob essentially has all of the options that I would have had with the 6 way switch anyway. So, here she is!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Those rotary tool router bits take a steady hand, for sure!

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
excellent choice sir. i can't tell though, are the covers gold or nickel? the glare from the light is confusing my eyes

·
Big Brother
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wonder if your buzzing problem was in the Freeway switch itself?
It's possible. It was the older model they don't make anymore, although it hadn't been previously used. Maybe sometime in the future I'll try again.

excellent choice sir. i can't tell though, are the covers gold or nickel? the glare from the light is confusing my eyes
The covers are brushed nickel, but there definitely seems to be a yellow glare there.

·
Big Brother
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used several Freeway switches w/ BKPs with no buzzing issue.
Yeah, I will take credit for that. I just kind of threw in the towel and put the original wiring in so I could have a 7 to play. At the end of the day, I'm happy that I was able to replace the pups without a problem, 6 way switch or not. I don't claim to be a wiring expert, but I try to learn something each time I do it (which isn't that often for a player of 25 years). I also have a totally unused new model switch I may try to install in my PRS SE, so we'll see how that goes in the hopefully not too distant future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts