Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it turns out that august was New Guitar Month at my house. These trickled in last month and I just figured I'd throw em up for your viewing pleasure as well.

First is a 1991 "Kip Winger" Futura. This is the actual Kip Winger model, and in terms of features is the ritziest one they made (probably one of the nicest production Jackson basses ever). The body is solid lacewood, which is actually a really nice figured wood that you don't see too often. I'm reserving full judgment till I put on some fresh strings, but I think I actually prefer the tone of my 91 Futura XL (which is the same except for PJ pickups and a maple body), it just seems "growlier". I'm probably going to replace both sets of pickups in the near future. Probably more vintage sounding passives in the XL and some more modern sounding active Hbs in the Pro, any recommendations?

Second is a 1990 Jackson AT Pro. HUGE thanks to Chris (jacksonplayer) on this one, I had been looking for one of these for quite a while with no success. Acoustically its the nicest guitar I own, the Ebony on the fretboard is really nice too. This will probably be my main guitar after it goes in for a fret job. I ordered Suhr Aldriches for this one (same kind of covers), but I was too hasty and got the 50mm bridge. Does anybody know if they make the Aldrich with a Nickel cover in 53mm?

Chris told me that this guitar has mojo, and he was right. However I don't know if even he knew about the most mojo laden aspect of this guitar. The name carved in the control cavity cover....

Lets take a closer look, shall we?

Thats right, Rags Jervis. It sounds like either

a) A transvestite shred god (or shred wannabe) from the late 80s.
b) Some D&D nerds Gnome Rogue.

Fess up Chris, are you Rags Jervis?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Congrats! That lacewood bass is gorgeous!

I've actually got passive EMG-HZs with EMG BQC preamp in my Schecter C-4, and I've found no need to replace them. Versatile modern tones from dub to metal and super easy to dial in. That would be my recommendation actually.

Also, I know they make covered 53mm Aldriches, dunno if they do them in nickel though. They do them in chrome and gold though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congrats! That lacewood bass is gorgeous!

I've actually got passive EMG-HZs with EMG BQC preamp in my Schecter C-4, and I've found no need to replace them. Versatile modern tones from dub to metal and super easy to dial in. That would be my recommendation actually.

Also, I know they make covered 53mm Aldriches, dunno if they do them in nickel though. They do them in chrome and gold though.
Thanks! The general consensus (at least what I gleaned from Talkbass), is that its not a spectacular sounding tonewood, nice to look at though.

The Lacewood one I might keep the stockers in, they are the active PJ models in the HB housings. The gun metal gray XL has the jackson stock ones though, so I'll be switching those out. I was thinking of going basslines (which I have experience with in a P bass) but I'm not against going active. Thanks for the rec

The wait for aldirches is killing me, Chris had some wilkinson (I think) PAF style things in here, and while they are nice pickups I want something hotter and heavier.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Hey, welcome to the club. :yesway:

I don't know enough about these basses to know which years had which features, but mine is definitely earlier. It's basically a standard Futura in lacewood, whereas yours has completely different pickups and a Kahler bridge.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, welcome to the club. :yesway:

I don't know enough about these basses to know which years had which features, but mine is definitely earlier. It's basically a standard Futura in lacewood, whereas yours has completely different pickups and a Kahler bridge.
I actually PMd you about the serial on yours some time ago and you never got back to me :lol:

Both mine are 91s, if you look at the number (x) after the J it will tell you the year (eg 9x).

Although both my models make there first catalog appearance in 1992 they must have gone into production in 91 due to the serials.

Yours is 90 or 91 since the pro model switched to dual humbucker (housings, still PJ pickups inside) sometime in 91. I presume yours is the cinnibar color?

GUITAR GALLERY Page37.jpg

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Yeah, mine is the same red color as most of them that you see. It's almost a shame, really, since the color washes out the figure.

Not sure what my serial number is, since I'm not at home right now, and I always forget to check when I'm there. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, mine is the same red color as most of them that you see. It's almost a shame, really, since the color washes out the figure.

Not sure what my serial number is, since I'm not at home right now, and I always forget to check when I'm there. :lol:
Haha, its not a big deal.

Unless you want to sell it to me. :squint:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Thats right, Rags Jervis. It sounds like either

a) A transvestite shred god (or shred wannabe) from the late 80s.
b) Some D&D nerds Gnome Rogue.
Being the naturally inquisitive sort, I googled it. The only exact hit for Rags Jervis I found was this:

Unofficial SG Homepage: Chris Cornell trivia quiz
#336 and 337, Rags Jervis/Waterproof.

I'm guessing Waterproof was his band - there's a couple Youtube hits, but I can't check them out.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Being the naturally inquisitive sort, I googled it. The only exact hit for Rags Jervis I found was this:

Unofficial SG Homepage: Chris Cornell trivia quiz
#336 and 337, Rags Jervis/Waterproof.

I'm guessing Waterproof was his band - there's a couple Youtube hits, but I can't check them out.
I googled it too but didn't really find anything. If his band was named waterproof I'm not sure I want to know what he did with the guitar.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Fess up Chris, are you Rags Jervis?
:lol: Nope! I'd forgotten all about that little inscription. I bought the guitar from a guy in North Carolina, though I'm quite sure he wasn't the original owner.

I googled it too but didn't really find anything. If his band was named waterproof I'm not sure I want to know what he did with the guitar.
That's where the mojo comes from. :lol:

As for the Futura, the history of those is a little convoluted. In the 1990-91 catalog, they are listed as the "Kip Winger" model and have the Jackson pickups/Gotoh bridge like Noodles's does. However, in the Custom Shop section of the catalog is pictured a USA Winger bass with the EMG/Kahler setup. My guess is that it was one of Kip's own basses (even though he's pictured elsewhere in the catalog with another one than has Jackson PUs & Kahler bridge). Oddly, the bass used for the catalog photo of the production Winger says "Made in USA" on it, but I'm quite sure it was never a USA Series production guitar. They must not have had Japanese models ready for the photo shoot.

In the 1992 catalog, Jackson introduced the Futura name for the first time (probably after Beavis & Butthead made the Winger name radioactive), with the Pro model having EMGs/Kahler and the XL model having Jacksons/Gotoh. Both models were available in either maple or lacewood and were otherwise identical except for bridge/pickups. Jackson also introduced the bolt-on Futura EX in '92.

You can check out all of the Jackson/Charvel catalog scans here:

GUITAR GALLERY Jackson Charvel

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:lol: Nope! I'd forgotten all about that little inscription. I bought the guitar from a guy in North Carolina, though I'm quite sure he wasn't the original owner.

That's where the mojo comes from. :lol:

As for the Futura, the history of those is a little convoluted. In the 1990-91 catalog, they are listed as the "Kip Winger" model and have the Jackson pickups/Gotoh bridge like Noodles's does. However, in the Custom Shop section of the catalog is pictured a USA Winger bass with the EMG/Kahler setup. My guess is that it was one of Kip's own basses (even though he's pictured elsewhere in the catalog with another one than has Jackson PUs & Kahler bridge). Oddly, the bass used for the catalog photo of the production Winger says "Made in USA" on it, but I'm quite sure it was never a USA Series production guitar. They must not have had Japanese models ready for the photo shoot.

In the 1992 catalog, Jackson introduced the Futura name for the first time (probably after Beavis & Butthead made the Winger name radioactive), with the Pro model having EMGs/Kahler and the XL model having Jacksons/Gotoh. Both models were available in either maple or lacewood and were otherwise identical except for bridge/pickups. Jackson also introduced the bolt-on Futura EX in '92.

You can check out all of the Jackson/Charvel catalog scans here:

GUITAR GALLERY Jackson Charvel
Damn I was hoping you could tell us "Waterproof:This rise and fall of Rags Jervis". Is there a chance the pickup rings on the AT aren't stock, they seem kind of weirdly angled for the neck?

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Is there a chance the pickup rings on the AT aren't stock, they seem kind of weirdly angled for the neck?
No, they're stock. All of Jackson's regular-sized pickup rings were angled, since almost all their guitars before 1990 had top-mount bridges and angled necks. If you were able to put those rings on your USA Soloist, you'd see that the angle matches perfectly.

The AT has a slightly angled neck, but not nearly as much so as ts predecessor 1989 Charvel 750xl model. The mismatch is even worse on early '90s 'regular' Soloists, since they had fully recessed trems but still used the angled rings. Jackson didn't start using non-angled rings until probably the mid-90s, presumably when they ran out of the angled ones. Jackson tended to take a few shortcuts on hardware back in the day. Even the early USA Jacksons used cheapo import pots and switches. That's one reason why even the most snobbish Jackson collectors typically feel free to replace hardware with better stuff.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts