Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these guys do an hour set at a local county fair :)lol:, anyways...). They were actually pretty awesome. Kind of like a Yes with some country influence, and heavier. Perhaps, like a country Dream Theater.

They played their three big hits, but even some of the other stuff they played was very progressive, and I heard a lot of Portnoy's style in the drumming.

Also, the guitarist's tone wasn't that great, but he was wearing an eye patch, so it was still awesome.
:pirate:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
It's not lupus.
1,689 Posts
I saw Kansas for the first time a few years ago. I went into it knowing only "Dust in the Wind" and "Carry On My Wayward Son."

My mind was blown.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Kansas is a great band. I feel they don't get all the credit they deserve from prog fans. I saw them play with Dream Theater a couple times years ago. I think Kansas was opening for them for a few shows on the Images and Words tour.

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Kansas imho dont get enough attention - they are too proggy for the mainstream/classic-rock people - and a big part of the prog community seems to stamp them as cheesy and dont pay attention.

Imho they are great, and hate me for it - but Carry on... is one of my favourite songs.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Kansas is a terrrrrrific band. :yesway:
I heard the main dude call into Sean Hannity's show, in which he said the whole band avidly listens to and enjoys both fox news and Hannity's radio show. I kinda dont like them as much anymore :lol:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I heard the main dude call into Sean Hannity's show, in which he said the whole band avidly listens to and enjoys both fox news and Hannity's radio show. I kinda dont like them as much anymore :lol:
Damnit :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Kansas is awesome and a huge influence on prog metal. I'm posting remotely or I would post a vid, but check out the song "Journey From Mariabronn" if you want to hear some proggy goodness. Their old '70s live album was recently reissued in an expanded format. Not a single studio "fix", and it is still almost note-perfect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts