Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
I'm really stoked! I preordered it as well but since I'm stateside I don't expect to see t for a while. Needless to say......I search for a leak everyday

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm waiting anxiously. The official release here in Oz is Friday but usually things will go a day or so early. I'm praying it comes tomorrow!

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts
There's a radio station here (Triple J) that's got the album as the "feature album of the week" so I get to hear a few of the new songs.

Unfortunately, I only listen to radio as an alarm clock so every time I listen to them I'm half asleep to pay full attention. :lol:

I am seeing them in a few weeks too. :hbang:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Updated original postal with link to stream.

I'm through my first listen, but, like with Sound Awake, it's going to be many more listens before I'll be able to pin this album down. My initial general impression is that this is a different animal than the previous albums, which may just be what being a progressive band is all about. So far, my favorite tracks are Nachash and We Are.

While I'll need more time to get a hang of the songs, I'm not so certain further listening is going to help change my mind on the production. Steve Judd is an absolutely stellar drummer, but there are times when I feel the recording and/or mixing doesn't adequately complement his playing. They went with a different producer and mixer this time around, so it's natural that the style is different, but I can't help but feel Forrester Savell, who produced and mixed the two previous albums, would have been a better match, with his more direct and punchy drum sounds.

That's all subjective, though, and may be contrary to what the band wanted. Then again, maybe not, as it may be that they entered the studio without any particular preconceptions of what the final album should sound like.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The shitty player on their site doesn't work for me. :(

Correction: It doesn't work in Safari, but works in Chrome. :erk:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Updated original postal with link to stream.

I'm through my first listen, but, like with Sound Awake, it's going to be many more listens before I'll be able to pin this album down. My initial general impression is that this is a different animal than the previous albums, which may just be what being a progressive band is all about. So far, my favorite tracks are Nachash and We Are.

While I'll need more time to get a hang of the songs, I'm not so certain further listening is going to help change my mind on the production. Steve Judd is an absolutely stellar drummer, but there are times when I feel the recording and/or mixing doesn't adequately complement his playing. They went with a different producer and mixer this time around, so it's natural that the style is different, but I can't help but feel Forrester Savell, who produced and mixed the two previous albums, would have been a better match, with his more direct and punchy drum sounds.

That's all subjective, though, and may be contrary to what the band wanted. Then again, maybe not, as it may be that they entered the studio without any particular preconceptions of what the final album should sound like.
I'm halfway in and I really missed the "crisp/clarity" and punchiness of his kit... but for some reason it's working for me the more I listen. The whole mix is much darker, much like the music. They've really pushed themselves on writing/structure, this album is fantastic. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm halfway in and I really missed the "crisp/clarity" and punchiness of his kit... but for some reason it's working for me the more I listen.
I think the new sound works for some songs (We Are in particular), but a song like The Refusal seems to call for something, well, more of the in-your-face variety. I don't necessarily have in mind the kind of production that was on Sound Awake, where the snare drum was always really in there and slammin' through the mix, but I feel that the sound of the new record could sometimes really benefit from having just a bit of that.

That said, it's their record, and they're still a phenomenal band that I have much respect and admiration for. I can't wait to see them live on their European tour this coming November.

·
Registered
196 Posts
It is really different, but so far I'm enjoying it! I feel like it's a lot darker and more open sounding than their previous cd. But I also think it will be a grower as the best albums usually are.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
FYI, for Americans who've not gotten their pre-order (which I think doesn't ship until August 6th) it's now on Spotify.

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:)

It's on rdio as well, for those north of the border.

Killer album, and I love the production/mix. Very raw and live, sounds like you're in the room, which suits the material. It makes the loud seem louder and the quiet more involving.

·
Curls for the Girls
381 Posts
I really like it don't get me wrong, but it almost seems like a step back from sound awake. That album was on such a new level though it would be hard to top. Asymmetry is darker and more "prog" I guess. Definetely could have done without the filler tracks though

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I really love this album. It feels like a step forward in their own development from 'Sound Awake'. That's not to say I think it's better than 'Sound Awake' it's just different but feels like the right direction for them to take. They could have just released a Sound Awake clone and it would have probably been great but wouldn't have taken them on to the next level. As I guessed, both 'We Are' and 'The Refusal' feel like they make so much more sense in the context of the album. I'm getting real vibes of Radiohead and Tool's 'Lateralus'. I like it. :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I actually didn't like it much, until I sat down with nothing but a cup of tea and some headphones, and listened all the way through. Sounds pretentious, I know. :lol:

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
Listened to it ~3 times when the stream was up and couldn't get into it. Minus the first song that dropped (the heavy one) and Sky Machine, nothing felt very memorable to me.

The songs do melt together very well and it's got more of a 'concept album' feel about it, but it felt meandering and hard to follow overall. I don't mind CDs that follow that concept but preferably in a smaller package (read: Wish You Were Here). Couldn't help but occasionally space out, and then tab back over to the window to see how far into the album I was and be unpleasantly surprised that there were still several tracks left, and it didn't get any better (sans Sky Machine) after that.

I LOVED Themata, liked and respected Sound Awake (though it felt like it had more filler than the previous album) but this one felt a little too nebulous (thanks Chris :yesway:) for me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts