Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Hey, these guys really are pretty awesome, making it totally unforgivable that I've never bothered to check them out before. :yesway:

·
Tune It Lower
1,114 Posts
Amazing fucking band! I've liked them for some time now.

Don't now how Muse manage to get more attention than these guys despite the similar angle on things. :shrug: Not that I think Muse is bad or anything, but Karnivool blow them away, utterly. :agreed:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I like Muse better, but these guys are fantastic. More atmospheric and drawn-out than the total bombast of Muse.

·
Dead & likes Rendang
3,170 Posts

Don't now how Muse manage to get more attention than these guys despite the similar angle on things. :shrug: Not that I think Muse is bad or anything, but Karnivool blow them away, utterly. :agreed:
They're two very different beasts. I've seen both bands at their origins, Muse had almost already found their own sound by fusing, classical, with Jeff Buckley/Radiohead stylings (as heard in Showbiz), and they've just further elaborated on that. Karnivool started on a more Nu-Metal based sound, but grew into something different. Listen to the Persona EP and see what I mean:

Not knocking either, as I'm a fan of both. And these songs are epic:

And for those interested, here's Ian Kenny's other band:

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
Great band, been a fan for quite some time now. Seeing them in just over a week. Don't get the parallels with Muse at all. I don't really feel like there are any similarities I can really see. Also in my opinion, Muse are a band in decline towards pop mediocrity. I just feel Matt Bellamy's writing has got more and more self indulgent over the years. A real shame because I thought they were great for the first few albums.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Karnivool is amazing. Muse I just don't get, tbh. The vocals are horrid, and the rest is just mediocre, IMO.

Karnivool (besides being completely different) just consistently delivers stronger tones and songwriting. Granted, they've only got two whole albums out though.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think Karnivool sound more heavy and Tool-influenced than Muse, especially on Themata. I have a harder time getting into Sound Awake, but i love almost every track on Themata.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I think Karnivool sound more heavy and Tool-influenced than Muse, especially on Themata. I have a harder time getting into Sound Awake, but i love almost every track on Themata.
I think Sound Awake is the kind of album that really needs to grow on the listener, something that the band seems to agree on. "Themata is the album of hooks, whereas Sound Awake is the album of lures", to quote the band. It took me about two months and a bit of patience, particularly on the longer songs, before I finally "got" it - but man, was it worth it. The concentration of awesome is through the roof on that album.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I think Sound Awake is the kind of album that really needs to grow on the listener, something that the band seems to agree on. "Themata is the album of hooks, whereas Sound Awake is the album of lures", to quote the band. It took me about two months and a bit of patience, particularly on the longer songs, before I finally "got" it - but man, was it worth it. The concentration of awesome is through the roof on that album.
I agree completely. Themata was instant satisfaction, whereas Sound Awake made me scratch my head at first. But now it's definitely my favorite of the two by a longshot.

·
Argh
2,658 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Personally I much prefer sound awake to themata. But both are excellent!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts