1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Plastic bag in the sea
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
I love this band, but the sub-par sound mix and picture, as well as the awkward camera angles, make me want to skip this in favor of better Karnivool live clips available on YouTube. This just isn't the production the band deserves and needs, unfortunately. :/

Thanks for posting, though. :yesway:

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
Well, I actually thought the quality was quite decent. Much better than most of the sub-par live recordings on youtube. The mix isn't exactly like I would like it in terms of how loud the vocals are in comparison to guitars, but it's still better than the muffled shit on youtube. What are you listening to this through Thomas?

I would agree that the camera work isn't very good either but I don't think I have ever seen live music well filmed apart from some old Rolling Stones and Zeppelin footage.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
What are you listening to this through Thomas?
I'm listening through headphones. But I think that's beside the point. Try this clip for comparison:
The sound is from the room, as captured by the camera's microphone, but notice how big the drums sound (@2:00), the snap of the snare drum, and the crushing guitars. Sound-wise, that's what I feel is missing missing in the video in the original post. ;)

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
I'm listening through headphones. But I think that's beside the point. Try this clip for comparison: YouTube - ‪Karnivool- Caudal Lure + Medicine Wears Off (Live @ Brisbane Hi-Fi Bar) (HD)‬‏
The sound is from the room, as captured by the camera's microphone, but notice how big the drums sound (@2:00), the snap of the snare drum, and the crushing guitars. Sound-wise, that's what I feel is missing missing in the video in the original post. ;)
Hmmm ... a little bit harsh and untrue in my opinion to say that's beside the point.

Generally speaking though, fair enough. I still don't agree. For me it's merely the difference between the sound off the board versus the sound recorded in the middle of the audience. In reality they both sound shit to me but will suffice. :lol:

The recording of Deadman that Aaron put up above is far better than both of them in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Hmmm ... a little bit harsh and untrue in my opinion to say that's beside the point.
It wasn't my intention to come off as harsh, at all, so I apologize if I did. I just don't see how this can affect the sound characteristics that I described. :scratch:

The recording of Deadman that Aaron put up above is far better than both of them in my opinion.
It is pretty awesome, and I've seen it about a dozen times. I'm not sure if the whole show is still on the Moshcam site, but I remember that they played Lifelike after Deadman, which felt quite out of place with it's completely different mood. I also recall an older and longer version of All I Know.

·
Wanker (reprise)
362 Posts
It wasn't my intention to come off as harsh, at all, so I apologize if I did. I just don't see how this can affect the sound characteristics that I described. :scratch:
All I was trying to suggest with this was, listening to it through proper monitors/speakers with the ability to properly tweak the EQ (and literally whack the bass up!) makes it sound a hell of a lot better than listening to it through headphones. That's fair isn't it? I guess that's why I thought it was harsh.

It is pretty awesome, and I've seen it about a dozen times. I'm not sure if the whole show is still on the Moshcam site, but I remember that they played Lifelike after Deadman, which felt quite out of place with it's completely different mood. I also recall an older and longer version of All I Know.
Lifelike? :lol: That's one of the songs off Themata that I'm really not a big fan of at all - really feel like they were cashing in on the scene (which was a bit out of date by then but it does take that long for trends to hit Australia! :lol:). Really glad they didn't play that when I went to see them last year because like you say it just doesn't fit in with the mood of most of 'Sound Awake'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts