Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting chillier out, and it's the time of year I wear my full-face helmet to keep from freezing my face off. Now, I could just wear my balaclava... But I'd rather just wear my full face...

Problem is, the damn thing fogs up with every breath I take. I've tried cleaning it and applying rain-x anti-fog solution on it, but to no avail... There's a rubber seal that sits on my nose/cheekbone that's supposed to keep air from creeping upwards, but it never works... Is there any product out there that'll definitely keep my face shield from turning into a foggy haze?

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Drive a car instead? :lol:

Seriously tho my buddy was just bitching about this exact problem. He hasn't found a solution either....

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Back when my dad raced motorbikes he tried that rain-x stuff, or whichever derivative. None of them work. He used (and still does, on the road) potato peels :lol:

Smear them all over the inside of the visor, doesn't fog up! He loves suggesting it to riders. Two of the guys in 125cc were doing it at Knockhill a few weeks back, too! :lol:

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Opening the lens a lil bit? ALso try breathing thru you rnose instead of your mouth.
I've tried altering my breathing to no avail, and opening it up only helps a little bit, and kinda defeats the purpose of having the face shield on, as it lets a little too much cold air onto my face.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Don't know what kind of helmet you're using and I haven't ridden in years but I had one of these on my Shoei GRV and it worked perfectly. It's a breath guard and fits in your helmet and directs your breath downward instead of towards your shield.

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know what kind of helmet you're using and I haven't ridden in years but I had one of these on my Shoei GRV and it worked perfectly. It's a breath guard and fits in your helmet and directs your breath downward instead of towards your shield.

My helmet has something like that built in, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do crap.

·
MAMMALHAMMER
520 Posts
This is an interesting topic. I've never had a motorcycle but I've experienced the same problem with paintball masks.

I had a mask once that fogged up in minutes under any conditions, it was so useless that I threw it away. I got another more expensive one from another brand that had a very similar design and it never fogged up under any conditions. It never even happened once.

That always made me wonder if there are different materials in impact resistant lenses that prevent fogging in various degrees.

If anyone knows, chime in. If there are different types of materials getting another lens might solve the issue.

EDIT: There are two types of paintball lenses that are antifog and some that aren't. I think the problem with your helmet is similar. On a paintball mask the "thermal" lenses are two layers. On motorcycle helmets there are inserts that turn the single layer lenses into two layers. They are called pin lock lenses and most helmets have a place for them.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My helmet has something like that built in, but as far as I can tell, it doesn't do crap.
You didn't mention which helmet you are using - I will say not all breath shields are the same. The one on my GRV made you feel like Darth Vader and actually rested against the bridge of you nose and cheeks. I lived for about a year in the Seattle area to give you a point of reference - keeping your shield clear was a challenge.

How about this?

Respro Foggy Breathguard :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

·
Dook dook dook
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You didn't mention which helmet you are using - I will say not all breath shields are the same.
I'll have to look at which brand mine is, I wanna say it's HJC, but that might be my other helmet. I believe you when you say they're not all the same - I was just recounting my experience with the inbuilt guard.

That looks interesting, i'll have to look into that, thanks!

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Or, rather than dropping $15 after $15 on things that won't work, try the potato peels. I'm not making it up, and they do work. I've started using the same for my karting helmet and it works perfectly.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Or, rather than dropping $15 after $15 on things that won't work, try the potato peels. I'm not making it up, and they do work. I've started using the same for my karting helmet and it works perfectly.
This. I dont know why noone is trying it.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
My Arai never fogs up if I crack the face shield a tiny bit. It might just be that your helmet's a tad too small for you - how much space is there between your chin and the helmet itself?

Edit: IF you want to try a bigger helmet, and HJC's fit your head, I have a couple of extras that I could send your way. I have a big mug, my Arai is an XL, but I have a 2XL HJC that you're more than welcome to try out. If you like it, just mail me something silly if you want to keep it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts