Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Sort of the R&D process for any modeller, but in a home box. Neat. This is the kind of tech I've been waiting for, partly because, if it works, you can model any amp and tone you want, but also because I'm curious to see what can happen if you abuse this tech in ways it's not meant to work :D

Sounds like it's not exact, loses a lot of warmth/depth in his example. But it's still a cool idea.

It's also always going to sound like an amp mic-ed up, not like an amp in the room, which is the main problem with pretty much any modeller, and which is the hardest thing for most guitarists to adjust to.

·
18,790 Posts
Why buy any of the numerous modeling amps on the market when you can go through a complicated process of MAKING YOUR OWN! :nuts:
Yeah, for the average user, it's pointless. But for guys who love finding unique signal chains (rare, specific amps, combined with certain speakers, mics, etc.) it can capture those for you. If it worked, you could set it up in the studio while working on an album, and when you finalize a tone you love, you can capture it and bring up a reasonable facsimile of it on the road, or at home, or anywhere.

I mean, it's not like Line6, or even Fractal, models every amp, cab and mic out there. Imagine finding a beat-up, repeatedly repaired and modded head at a studio and plugging it into a cab that's broken in just the right way, and setting it to the perfect sweet spot, with just the right mic to capture it, and then being able to have that tone, any time.

In theory ;)

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
True. It's probably more useful as a studio tool, too... you just have to take your shit to the studio once, capture its profile, and then you can track and re-amp to your heart's content.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Why buy any of the numerous modeling amps on the market when you can go through a complicated process of MAKING YOUR OWN! :nuts:
Because no one has modeled *your* rig. I can understand the appeal, but I don't think it will be cost-effective enough to make it worth it.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
True. It's probably more useful as a studio tool, too... you just have to take your shit to the studio once, capture its profile, and then you can track and re-amp to your heart's content.
That's what I was thinking. I tend to not like modeling that much, but it would be cool to have complete control over the inner workings, actually making amps that don't exist.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Droid Build/FRG83D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

This would be awesome if they have downloadable patches so you can download amps. I wasn't too impressed with that demo, would like to hear more first with back to back comparisons of the real amp vs the model. If they have downloadable patches, especially from big artists that sound like the real deal I can see this being a big hit.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; DROIDX Build/VZW) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1 480X854 motorola DROIDX)

It would almost be cooler if it had a dummy load so you could plug the amp in and get just the head's tone profile. Then it wouldn't sound like a mic'd amp and you could run it through a flat power amp and a guitar speaker cab to get some air moving.

Although I suppose you could just use a hot plate.

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
It looks like a prop from the set of the original Star Trek series.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.