Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Turn wood into metal
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a killswitch on a bass I built for a guy. And it makes a little click when it's engaged. Other than that it works fine. I wasn't sure if I just received a shitty kill switch? Or if it was because it was on a bass, or maybe some mod I can do to the inside of it to buffer this noise out. Any help is appreciated. Here is a pic of it. He wanted me to use an old american Fender neck and basically copy a jaguar. Don't tell Fender.

·
Turn wood into metal
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wondering if I installed it too close to the pickups and it is picking up the click. I'm going to take it out tomorrow and engage it from another locale away from the pickups.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
The switch's proximity to the pickups won't make any difference.

How have you got it wired? You should be shunting the hot wire to ground using a normally open switch or SPDT. I've read that putting a 1 Meg resistor across the poles of the switch will reduce or eliminate the popping sound. In my experience, the pop is much less noticeable with higher gain, as the compression absorbs a lot of the voltage spike. When you're playing clean, it's much more audible.

·
Turn wood into metal
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks. I'll add that resistor to it. It didn't come with any schematics, so I went with what I found online. I'll take what you said and pick it apart and check it all. I appreciate the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts