Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Kingkiller Chronicles - Patrick Rothfuss

So, I read "The Name of the Wind" a while ago after a friend recommended it to me. Completely blown away. Incredible writing, and all the more incredible that Rothfuss was pretty much an unknown before writing it. Turns out I forgot to post a thread about it.

Now, the same friend just informed me that the second book "The Wise Man's Fear" is out. I have Kindled it and am already like 200 pages in, and it's fucking awesome.

Some of the best new fantasy I've read in a LONG time.

My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

"The Flame" is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

"The Thunder" I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of "The Broken Tree" as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant "to know."

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me.

Reactions: 1

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This book is really, genuinely awesome, and it's really bad that I'm getting so sucked in during a week when I have so much shit to prepare for :lol: Also, Penny Arcade did a (rather apt) strip on it:

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
:lol:

Read the first one about a year ago within the span of a few days. Just picked up the hardcover today. Hope its as awesome as the first one.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, sometimes I want to kill Rothfuss, then I keep reading and want to hug him :lol:

Seriously, we just spent 300 pages or so in the University, and then he goes and gets shipwrecked, loses a bunch of stuff, survives a mutiny, etc., and he just handwaves it away to go back to more intrigue! :lol:

Still really enjoying it so far. About 60% done. Kvothe is a badass when he needs to be!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Read both of them so far. First 50 or so pages are a bit slow, but after that, you wont be able to put this book, or the one after it down.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The downside: The second book just came out in.. May? So you'll have to wait for the next one.
The upside: He completed the entire trilogy before the first book was published, so even if something happens to him, they can publish the last book :lol: He CANT GRRM on us!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
:lol: Awesome. I'm in the middle of so many series' now, it's not even funny. Way of Kings (first book only), Mistborn (new one comes out Nov 8), Gentlemen Bastard series (2012?), Wheel of Time (lol), Brent Weeks' stuff (holy fuck is that awesome), etc, etc.

I've found a shitload of great authors lately though. There's a lot of just straight up awesome writing in this genre.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
The thing that sucks most about the Scott Lynch books is that I completed Red Seas... in 2008, so i've been waiting for a new book in that series since then. :lol:

It was funny, cause when I got into Scott Lynch, people were saying "He's totally not gonna do what GRRM did! He's a new author trying to get his career established!"

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The thing that sucks most about the Scott Lynch books is that I completed Red Seas... in 2008, so i've been waiting for a new book in that series since then.

It was funny, cause when I got into Scott Lynch, people were saying "He's totally not gonna do what GRRM did! He's a new author trying to get his career established!"
As I understand it, he had a real run of shit luck. From his blog, his Grandfather passed away, he lives in the middle of nowhere Minnesota, separated from his wife in 2010 and he's fighting depression. :(

I'm sure you've read them but here's the prologue:

http://www.scottlynch.us/files/trotprologue.rtf

And here's the first chapter:

http://www.camorr.com/system/files/TRoTChap1Excerpt.rtf

Lynch just seems cool as hell. Not to derail the shit out of this thread, but here's the first post from his LJ. He's our kinda guy. :lol:

do not automatically delete anonymous posts. In fact, I don't even automatically delete critical anonymous posts. But I certainly will automatically delete any cowardly, weak-sauce personal attack posted anonymously. If you're not going to attach an identity to your statements to back them up in some fashion, you might as well not even bother being a dick- your worthless scrawl is just going to vanish.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
As I understand it, he had a real run of shit luck. From his blog, his Grandfather passed away, he lives in the middle of nowhere Minnesota and he's fighting depression. :(
Oh, he has a totally valid reason. Its just disappointing. But at least he's not just sitting on ass blogging about football and spending way too much time on awkward sex scenes.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-26) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Dude, I've been ranting about these books for ages. Interested to see what you think.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Oh, he has a totally valid reason. Its just disappointing. But at least he's not just sitting on ass blogging about football and spending way too much time on awkward sex scenes.
Seriously. :lol:

I hope when he gets writing again, the joy he put into Locke (and the rest, who I won't name for spoiler's sake) is still there. The first two books really read like an author who loves his main characters. And he should, because they are awesome.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Back to the Kingkiller books (I merged the two threads:

I Finished the first one last night, and started the second. Liiiiitle slow in the middle but totally an awesome story. 9/10 all day long, gonna rip through the next one over the next few days. Kvothe is an awesome character, and the world is really well done. Great characters, great plot, just an all around solid read.

I guess the third one's a long way off still, eh? :(

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
I loved book one. I wanted to strangle Rothfuss almost as much as I wanted to strangled GRRM, but I still loved it. Fuck... it was like 4 or 5 YEARS in-between publishing the first and second books. I actually had almost forgotten about it, when i happened to chance across book 2 in a book store. UGH! Modern writers! :mad:

But it is a damn good read. When I finish up 'A Dance with Dragons' I'm starting on book 2.

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
Oh, shit! Lynch... I forgot about him, too! Either Ken or I recommended him to each other... can't remember which way it went. :lol: But we both ended up loving those books.

FFS. Authors! :mad: :lol: Those books ruled.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Oh, shit! Lynch... I forgot about him, too! Either Ken or I recommended him to each other... can't remember which way it went. :lol: But we both ended up loving those books.

FFS. Authors! :mad: :lol: Those books ruled.
You told me about Red Seas, the second book in the series. I picked up the first book first, though, to start at the beginning.

Probably the best book reccomendation ever. :yesway:

·
Canis lupis robertus
5,706 Posts
That graping must be good for the memory. :D

Yeah, I knew it was one of us to the other. :lol: Great series! I loved Locke Lamora.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts